One Rod

como

Reaction score
I am looking for a upgrade. I am trying to decide on what good rod to start with. I primarily fish lakes for trout as well as as rivers for trout. Primarily I like to throw streamers. I have a Ross Rythm #2 that I would like to pair with a good rod. I have no doubts I will eventually add rods to my collection but am looking for the one go to rod for the majority of my fishing. I would like to put money into a good "do all rod and then fill holes around it as money allows. It makes sense to me have my best quality rod as the one I grab most often. I am looking for ideas on anything from weight to specific rods to check out. Right now price range is around 500. Thanks

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Como,

My honest suggestion is to cast some rods you are interested in. You may order a rod online, cast it, and not like the way it feels.

Cheers,

Robert

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Hi Como. How far is it to the nearest really good fly shop? One guy will think a rod is the best thing ever and the next guy not so much. Before you drop $500 on a rod you might want to go cast a couple.

I was doing some other stuff and started this before ncflyboy posted. But yah, pretty much what he said.

Last edited:

caseywise

Reaction score
look hard at the sage z-axis series, or the vt2 series. both are on sale and both are fine rods, the z is a super rod, the vt2 great one too. look as well, on ebay, for the sage sage fli series. fine rods for sure.

casey

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Find yourself a fly shop and start from there on your brand and model choices.

As for rod length and line weight, that will depend on the flies and lines that you intend to throw. If you intend to throw bushy wind resistant flies or tungsten beaded and lead bodied flies with heavy sink tips, you may want to errr towards at least a six weight. If you intend to throw flies not as large, a five weight should be just fine. I usually outfit my customers with rods that range from nine to nine and a half feet in length.

Dennis

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
I would get a Winston Passport...if you need to spend more get a BIIIX. Hard to look elsewhere once you have had a rod like this in your hand.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Make a list of possible rods you are interested in, then go to a shop that carries what you want. Cast all the rods you can, then make your choice. With your budget you can get yourself a nice rig.

Dan