The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 AM

Capn' Jack Sparrow is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Rant

Hello !!!

This is my first post here (i have been a lurker for a while) and I'm sorry it is a negative one, but here it is.
Approximately 2 weeks ago I got the Orvis News and Sale flier in the mail they had the Battenkill Large arbor reel V listed on clearence for $69.00 Reg price $229.00 . I called them and was told that they did not go on sale until 12:00am march 1st but the representative said they showed that they had 72 black ones and 20 some gold ones. Last Sunday Feb 25, and this is important, I looked up the catalog # on their website and it said they were unavailable so I called their 24hr customer service line at 4:00 am and was told by the machine that they were closed until 7:00am est, I looked up their other number in the catalog and tried it and got right through and was told they did not go on sale until midnight March 1st but that they had 72 Black and 20 some gold in stock. Today Feb 28, I called with another question about the reel and they told me they were sold out completely, when I asked how that happened they could not tell me, so I ended the call. A little later I called back and asked for a manager, he came on and said the flier was sent out to early to the western states and they accidently triggered the website to sell them at that price. I told him I had called the day I received the flier and was told they were in stock then, so he said they had sold out of them by Friday the 23rd I said that I called sunday the 28th and they still had them in stock, his reply was uh, uh, uh well you called this "past" Sunday I said yes this past Sunday. He said well as I explained there was a glitch. When I asked about another reel he perked up and offered 30 % off of the replacement reel nowhere near the savings of the other reel. When I told him I was less than pleased with this he said as I explained we had a glitch. Keep in mind from the day I originally called they had these reels on sale for I think it was $159.00 and when I checked periodically the website showed they had them then in fact they showed they had them for $159.00 price on Monday or Tuesday of this week. I asked if I could find one at an Orvis dealer would the $69.00 price be honored, he said it was up to the dealer, so I called one dealer and they checked on the computer for any store that might have them, I was going to order two of them, she checked with Orvis and whoever she talked to said they had been sold out for 2 months. I feel I have been outright lied to either twice by representatives or by management and thought everybody should see their business practices. I am through with Orvis.

This is my opinion and and facts of what I was told by them.
I had always heard they were an honorable business but I guess I will have to reevaluate that.

Sorry to be so long but this type of business tends to not set well with me.

Capn' Jack
Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis Rant

That really bites the big one. I do know from working for Orvis, that in the past, when you called the catalog, an item would show up, so you place an order and receive a message that it is on back order.
I did find out that, if there are several orders for that item, it will not show up till it is filled.
So, in other words, there may have been several order way ahead of yours and they will fill first come.
I do understand you bitterness, and it would be nice in today's world if they could figure out a way to mark off those items that are "SOLD" the minute they receive an order.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I saw the very same reel in the same sale flier.

I also checked it out, and never found it online or phone order for the sale flier price.

My conclusion was that the sale flier price was a misprint.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I have a much less passionate dislike of Orvis, and I actually worked there for a while too. I think in general they take good care of their customers, and likely have increased the average standard of customer care in the fly tackle industry in doing so, which is bound to be a good thing.

Capn' Jack, I mean in no way to imply that you are making baseless accusations, nor am I shocked to hear that Orvis would create such a kloosterfooken. (swedish?)

My beef with Orvis is that they are not mainly manufacturers, but marketers. They make rods, and have the production of the rest of their products sourced to be manufactured by other companies. (Those of you who recall my praise for ECHO and TFO might think I don't apply this mindset evenly, but I like the new co's out there selling great gear at great prices with great warrantys) I like Simms, Sage and Waterworks/Lamson, because they are doing the cutting edge development, manufacturing, and marketing of their products more self-sufficiently.

They also have (used to have?) very restrictive rules for independent retailers wanting to carry their products. It was kind of an all or nearly-nothing-and-crappy-prices arrangement from what I recall.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

That would be my guess too, that they had a misprint and wasn't willing to take the hit.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I have a much less passionate dislike of Orvis, and I actually worked there for a while too. I think in general they take good care of their customers, and likely have increased the average standard of customer care in the fly tackle industry in doing so, which is bound to be a good thing.

Capn' Jack, I mean in no way to imply that you are making baseless accusations, nor am I shocked to hear that Orvis would create such a kloosterfooken. (swedish?)

My beef with Orvis is that they are not mainly manufacturers, but marketers. They make rods, and have the production of the rest of their products sourced to be manufactured by other companies. (Those of you who recall my praise for ECHO and TFO might think I don't apply this mindset evenly, but I like the new co's out there selling great gear at great prices with great warrantys) I like Simms, Sage and Waterworks/Lamson, because they are doing the cutting edge development, manufacturing, and marketing of their products more self-sufficiently.

They also have (used to have?) very restrictive rules for independent retailers wanting to carry their products. It was kind of an all or nearly-nothing-and-crappy-prices arrangement from what I recall.

Cliff, who is the OEM for their reels?

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Capn' Jack Sparrow is on a distinguished road

Well here is some more fat to chew. I found an internet liquidator that purchased several of these reels about 1 month ago that was almost definately after the fliers had gone to the printer and they paid somewhere between the $69.00 price and under The $159.00 price they had been up until
this sale was supposed to start. Oh well I guess my rant is over but I just do not like to be lied too.

Capn' Jack Sparrow
Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Document everything while it is still fresh in your mind. Call the manger back and demand a reel for the advertised price and inform him that you will file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bereau. Put your hard earned tax dollars to work for you. I'm not sure where they are located in VT but most likely Montpelier. 802-555-1212 for information.
Good Luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Orvis used to get their reels made by a company called British Reel Company. (or something very close to that) Its my understanding that ..................................

Hold the phone! I was wrong, from the orvis site: 1993
Orvis purchases British Fly Reel.

But now also found this "Orvis owned a company called British Fly Reels - they make the System 2 and some of Orvis' reels. A few Orvis reels were made by Hardy but recently? - not sure. A year or so ago Orvis sold BFR to a Chinese comany - I believe we're still waiting for product from the new makers." on sexyloops.co.uk, dated May 2006.

So I never knew that Orvis actually owned BFR, but i guess I had heard correctly that the BFR operation had moved to China.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff, going off the letter I saw before our store closed, Orvis transfered the production of the reels to an Asian Market because BFR was too expensive for the changes they wanted. At least that was the vibes.
The reel have been make in China for about the Last three years. I don't notice any difference other than the reel foot is a little thicker. I have a ring down lock on my new rod and the Asian reel foot are too thick. I contacted Orvis on this. They didn't have any of the older Reel foot, and they were sorry, but now they are aware of the problem. I ended up sanding mine down. Other than that....everything appears to be the same