The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Great evening on the creek. meet and greet

well, a few days ago a friend emails me a note about a fly fishing club having a meeting at the creek i do most of my fishing, so I attended said meeting this afternoon. there was 40 people there to my surprise. before and after this meeting/dinner I got some fishing in and managed to capture a few small bass and share some stories with others there. after our meeting I hit the creek again. this is were it got interesting, I was working a deep hole next to a root wad when I see a dark shape swimming toward me. this thing looked huge! then it got closer and I realized it was a beaver. that surprised me a bit. all in all another good day on the creek. and now i have a sorce to learn more ff techniques!
mike
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Great evening on the creek. meet and greet

Glad you had a good day! Always good to have resources to help understand a creek or river and the fish that inhabit it. Like Brad Pitt said, "It's gonna take me three more years to think like a fish!"
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

for sure! this is the group I met with.

Derby City Fly Fishers - Louisville KY
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Mike,

That sounds like a great afternoon. I'm a bit envious.

There are no ff clubs down here where I'm at, and the only guy I ever fly fish with moved up to Stuart, about 3 1/2 hours north. That really got me motivated to get my boat splashed, since we always went out in his skiff.

So instead of fishing today, I patched a rod holder hole for a holder I had to eliminate to extend my rod compartment (which was too short for fly rods), removed the rub rail and began sanding down the hull to get it ready for painting.

I've seriously been thinking about putting an add in the paper (after my boat is splashed and I've got the new motor broken in, and have caught some dolphin and tuna for dinners) to see if anyone would like to start a FF Club. There's got to be somebody down here that likes to fly fish!

So it sounds like you had a great afternoon to me, Mike. I'm sure it will be worth your while.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That sounds great Mike but please don't forget all your make believe friends on the computer screen just because you've met some real live people We like you here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That sounds great Mike but please don't forget all your make believe friends on the computer screen just because you've met some real live people We like you here,

Ard
couldnt even think about it, everyone here has been beyond helpful in the new venture.

wjc, I know what you mean the fishing in the area is typically a spincast bass tourney/ catfish bait fishing area. so the ff crowd I think is pretty small in comparison, I grew up fishing that methode and got out of it for awhile, I have a new found enjoyment in my new methode of fishing and it seems the ff crowd respects the quarry alot more. good fun! if you make it to kentucky ill be happy to share the waters.
mike
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Mike,

Same here. 2 weeks and I should be back in business, so you better hold off for a month.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Mike,

Same here. 2 weeks and I should be back in business, so you better hold off for a month.
ill be back on the creek next week. I think I may try to make a trip south this winter, I have a friend in N alabama, but from what i here january isnt to good for fishing, might venture further south, not sure yet. by the time winter lows hit hard.. but the creek I fish will have fresh stock trout in october
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM

January isn't the best fishing anywhere I've been, but sailfishing is usually pretty good then. I know a good spot 5 1/2 miles from where I'm sitting. A little less at high tide, then I can cut between Dove and Rodreques Keys.

The biggest problem with the winter is the trade winds. Keep in touch for sure as the date approaches. The only thing more fun for me than catching sails and tarpon is watching someone catch his first.

In the meantime, I'm going to be working on two different techniques for teasing sails up for the fly, soon as I get my boat in the water. One has never been tried here before and I have high hopes for it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM

will do, good luck. Ive never been saltwater fishing of any sort