The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default What to do with a Lamson LP3- Switch Rod?

So I have found myself with a absolute mint condition Lamson/Sage LP3 that is not being used. This reel weighs about 6.5 oz and is rated for a 7wt line with about 200yds of gel spun. I was using it on my 7wt Sage but because of a recent find on eBay the LP has been replaced by a different reel.

I'm toying with a Scott 11ft 6wt but I'm not sure how often I would use it. Maybe once I got one I'd find it indispensable.... For the record I already have a Sage 10ft 5wt.

For you switch rod guys- how do you like them and how often do you use them? The big rivers I fish are the the White in Arkansas and the North Fork in Missouri.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to do with a Lamson LP3- Switch Rod?

Shoot, I'd whip some big flies around with that puppy, I saw pictures of an absolute beast of a brown come out of the North fork about a week back, And lord knows there are some monsters in the White. The fall run is on the way, that's what I would use it for.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Shoot, I'd whip some big flies around with that puppy, I saw pictures of an absolute beast of a brown come out of the North fork about a week back, And lord knows there are some monsters in the White. The fall run is on the way, that's what I would use it for.
Howdy neighbor!! Funny you say that- I was on the NF about 10 days ago and the rumor going around is there are still big striper above Dawt. We did a late afternoon/evening trip and while I didn't see any of the 20-30 pound stripers I did see one that would go 10- easy. But thats not the cool thing-as we approached Blair in the evening I saw a big brown hen swimming around looking for dinner. I bet that brown was every bit 10 to 12 pounds.....
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Russelb, depending on the line chosen, you can swing streamers shallow/deep, indy nymph, high stick, and cast dries. I have a hard time putting my switch down.
Feels better getting into bigger fish too, a bigger lever.....

Jim