The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Latest fff forum meet

Good morning Gents-afternoon here in the uk. Yesterday saw the latest FFF froum meet at Stocks Reservoir near Clitheroe, Lancashire with no less than 16 forumites turning out-four had made the long drive down from Scotland to show us how to fish-and pretty much proved it, too. Two per boat we tackled this large water with weather conditions starting cloudy and windy with a little rain and certainly glad we followed advice and wore waterproof clothing. Despite pre warning the trout were feeding on or just below the surface on heather flies or bibio hoppers results were a bit mixed. Unfortunately my first visit went unrewarded and as well as four others we got "skunked" though the english term is kinder-"blanked". My boat partner Rod took four on flies very similar to mine and I enjoyed landing them for him. It was a very good day though as now I can put a face and voice to fellows who previously were user names on posts on the forum. If distance wasn't a factor I'd love to do the same with some of the guys on this forum, but will have to make do with keeping you up to date to what's happening This side of the pond. Thanks for bearing with me and hope you weren't too bored.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Latest fff forum meet

Sounds like some great fun! I'll let you know when I'm back on your side of the Pond next summer (maybe as early as next spring) and maybe we can meet up for some fishing, or at least a couple of pints!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Flytier

Thanks for the report, am curious to know what the Scotts were doing differently?

Had to be alcohol related.

Dave
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Congrats on a successful forum outing. Meeting up with other members for some fishing is a great experience!! Thanks for the great report!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Thanks Guys: 1. gatortransplant-Thanks-if you love dry flies you'd have been in your element. 2. littledavid123-I should imagine the lads had a wee dram in thier hip flasks with them to boost their talents plus they hone their skills on Loch Leven a fair bit 3. Davo-thanks for your support

Last edited by flytier07; 08-22-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typing errors
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks for the report flytyer.

I dont suppose you have any pics you took of the event? I would enjoy seeing them.

As with most things British i am fascinated by the techniques and fisheries you enjoy over on the Isles. I often pick up imported British fly fishing magazines you follow along.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks for the report, am curious to know what the Scotts were doing differently?
I'll let you in on a top secret tip. They dunk their flies into their flasks of Glenfiddich when no one is watching. Even German browns can't resist a little nip of Glenfiddich on a cold, wet day.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sheer brilliance, Jim. However, something tells me if that was my strategy, by the end of the day I might have a fly sunk into my lip or tongue too, depending on the capacity of my flask...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
They dunk their flies into their flasks of Glenfiddich when no one is watching. Even German browns can't resist a little nip of Glenfiddich on a cold, wet day.
Neither man nor beast could resist!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Hey Guys-Vans-I took some pics, but unfortunately it was only a throw-away camera so have to wait till they're developed. If you register on the Fly Fishing Forum(flyforums.co.uk) and go to Lancashire Stocks Forum Meet-21st August you'll find two or three members took a number of photos you'd find very interesting. WJC-You've let the secret out now so don't ever go fishing to Scotland and tell them who you are. Wouldn't do me any good though as I like Glenfiddich too much and the fish would have to fight me for it. By the way the next meet is for Sunday September 25th at Arnsfield Fishery near Tintwhistle. Lancs. A fishery that stocks rainbows, browns and blues(rainbow hybrid noted for its fighting qualities) from 2 to 25 pounds! I can hardly wait as often fishing from the bank is better than from a boat and they should be chasing coarse fish fry by then so bring on the Zonkers!