The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default My Friend's Secret Fishing Spot

Help me out here folks.

Here's my situation.

A friend of mine that I fish with occasionally accidentally discovered an amazing fishing spot. It's 10 minutes from my house, has lots of big, 12+ inch trout, and I doubt anyone has ever fished there, because it's the sort of place that you would never believe would support trout (much less good sized trout.)

It's public land, with easy access (once you know where to go.)

Can I fish his secret spot without guilt? He's been talking about it for some time now. What's the etiquette about fishing other people's secret spots that they divulge to you? If I go there and catch (and release) these trout, am I a bad person?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Friend's Secret Fishing Spot

Well, if he didn't want you to know about it, he probably wouldn't have told you. Just ask him if he would mind if you fishing it.

If you do end up fishing it, smash the barbs down on your hooks so you don't injure the fish's mouth after catching them. It also would help to get a mesh net to use to land the fish. This will cause less of the fish's protective slime to be removed when you land them. One last thing that will help protect the fishery is to wade in it as little as possible.

Oh yeah, and don't leave trash.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

I think that if he didn't want you to fish there then he probably shouldn't have let you in on the secret. Fish away. I think it would be bad manners to tell anyone else about it without consulting with your friend first, though.

Bruce
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I would call the fellow and say; "lets go fish that spot you told me about". If he can't go ask him if he minds if you go and fish it. I would then act according to his comments. Remember that real good friends are few and far between.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Well... you know your friend better than we do... so let your conscience be your guide. Friendships have been won and lost over fishing spots.

But I have to think that if he didn't want you to fish the spot then he never would have told you about it. I mean that's how I would look at it if the rolls were reversed. If I told you about my secret spot then I would expect that you would fish it any time you want. However, I would stress to you to not tell anyone else.

Its public land so fish it. Tell your friend that you did. If he gets mad at you then perhaps he's not as good of a friend as you thought.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Don't fish it without his permission! I have had many people fish or hunt a speacial lplace that I told them in confidence and it made me mad. Sounds stupid but it's human nature.
People used to look for my truck and then find where I was fishing. Once I found out that this was happening I found myself hiking very far from my truck to keep fishing spots secret.
Take the time to find new spots. It's fun and challenging. Theres more to fishing than catching.
Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I would call the fellow and say; "lets go fish that spot you told me about". If he can't go ask him if he minds if you go and fish it. I would then act according to his comments. Remember that real good friends are few and far between.

I've been trying to get him to fish there with me, but he's busy and doesn't have the time.

I've been out "scouting" the place (with no fishing gear) and it's just like he said; big lunker trout.

I'm going to let him know I want to fish it with him, but if he can't get off his duff and go soon, I'm going to go fish it without him.

And no, I'm not going to tell anyone else about it.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I think you are in the clear to fish it, especially if it is on public land. I'd be careful that everyone else don't catch on to you going there and I'd definitly not tell anyone else about it since he is the one who discovered it and shared it with you. I'd say go and have no guilt.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM

I fished it.

Caught and released two good sized fish (rainbows, no less.)

Broke off two more (6x tippet), and had 5 or 6 strikes where I missed setting the hook.

Got some strange looks from some folks walking by.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

A good friend of mine has a secret place within fifteen minutes of where we live. You can catch quality size smallmouth everytime (3-4 lbs). He finally took me there last summer it was awesome. One day he had to work over and I wanted to go wading , so I went. The next day he asked me if I went to "The Spot". Couldn't lie to a friend ,told him I did. He told me straight up that if he didn't want me to go there he wouldn't have showed me the spot.