The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default gizzard shad

so i went back to my local lake and found a bunch of gizzard shad swimming the shore.
should i be worried?

ARFE
Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: gizzard shad

big or small ones? but nah, i catch a bunch in my throw net all the time. I wouldn't be to concerned about them other than having a fly that mimicks them.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

probably 4 or 5 inches.
i was thinking in a lake that they might be evasive

casey

ARFE
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure these things are absolutely exploding in the Ohio River right now. I saw thousands of them schooled up where I usually fish in Louisville while fishing the other day. I could hardly throw a cast without bringing one in... fishing became trying to catch the RIGHT kind of fish, rather than having my hook space being filled by shad....

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

I found an article from Iowa talking about gizzard shad being potentially dangerous for small systems, so the lake might fit in there. It noted that they can potentially outcompete for food with all other fish in the system, potentially explaining the limited numbers of LMs I see where I usually fish:

Gizzard Shad Threatening Iowa's Lakes

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 PM

gator,
thnx for the article. i would say thats 99% percent what is going on here
plus, while at the lake today, i noticed that fish and game has posted signs requesting that anglers "do not release gizzard shad".
i hope we can clean this up before things get out of control.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

But in the meantime, you know what fly to tie or fish. All the big fish are gonna feed on that hatch.

Jones
Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

No kidding on cleaning it up, the method mentioned in the article is pretty ominous, draining the lake and killing off everything and restarting... People do some really stupid things and everyone else ends up suffering.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM

gator,
kind of sad isnt it?
i foresee a stunted population of bass and sunfish within the next year and then probably a total lake kill off.

ARFE