The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question When you "Hit the river" ??

Good Day to All,

Just wondering if this has been asked before on the Forum ??

Does your spouse enjoy flyfishing & regularly "Hit the water" with you ?

Or do you go alone ?

Or just have one or two guys/girls that always fishes together ?

Tie One On
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you "Hit the river" ??

My Hubby fishes with me on most outings, but I also go with friends or by myself, specially when out of town guiding.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

I can't get mine interested in going with me. When her and my daughter go, they usually walk around, read a book or something. Don't have any friends that fly fish so usually it is just me. Its nice to have some time alone, but it would be nice to have someone to enjoy it with also. It really isn't that safe to go alone when wade fishing but I would get to go otherwisen't.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

I have a 3 or 4 guys that I fish with almost exclusively. My wife and kids do tag along every once in a while when they get the time. They are very special times for me. My kids are just getting big enough and love to float the rivers. My 4 year old son floated with us about 10 times last summer.
Click the image to open in full size.
Here we are checking out the bugs. He thought that was pretty cool.
He's a heck of a rower.
Here are my girls. This was on my birthday last July on the canyon of the South Fork of the Snake.

My wife can flyfish, but she usually just enjoys getting out.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its normally just me out there. I don't normally pass on opportunities to fish with others, but I end up fishing on my own more often, and I think I like it that way. Fishing with others is quite enjoyable as well, but having some time to oneself is a treat.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

My wife has never fished before, but I'm going to try and convert her this summer. I just bought her a pair of waders and wading shoes, and am going to teach her some casting techniques. I really hope that she takes to it, as it would be great to have a hobby we could do together.

Right now, I mostly go alone, but I have a couple of friends that I will go with on occasion.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

My wife used to like to fish when we had a boat in Louisiana. She don't go out with me anymore when I flyfish. I belong to a flyfishing club and fish with some of the guys some times. Sometimes by myself.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

My wife absolutely detests fishing. I've had boats that I owned for years that she never set foot in. One I begged her to go along, and she agreed only after I promised that she wouldn't have to touch a rod.

The only water sports she enjoys is canoeing (as long as no fishing is involved) but ut's been years since she's done that.

However, she's extremely supportive of my hobbies, and doesn't complain at all when I go fishing, as long as I don't go every waking moment of the weekend.

I have a 24 year old vegetarian daughter that loves to fly fish with me, as long as it's catch and release. No problem there!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-11-2007, 04:21 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

She tends to sit and read, however if we are in an area where there are other fish types she fishes with float and worm etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM

flyfishingpastor is on a distinguished road

My wife is truly my life-partner. She sometimes goes fly fishing with me just to spend some quality quiet time with me and she lets me turn most of our vacations into fly fishing vacations. She probably fishes with me 6-8 times a year. My son-in-law used to fish with me regularly but he has a new job and can rarely go with me. My daughter is just starting fly fishing but I don't ever see it as a passion with her. So, I probably fish 75% of the time by myself and that's okay as well.

FFP
"...let me introduce an idea-just something to kick around: Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed, and, of course, without losing the faith that there's a bigger one in there. " -John Gierach, from Fly Fishing Small Streams by Stackpole Books.