The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM

dynamitedam is on a distinguished road
Default Fly-fishing outfit for wheelchair user

Hello, this is my first post on this great forum.

I had a #7 weight/9 foot fly-rod with 7-weight or 8-weight line that I used for fresh spawn-run trout in Australia and New Zealand. Prior to my accident I had no problem using the mentioned outfit however since being wheelchair bound I struggled with control and tired very quickly due to the overall weight of outfit and swing weight. I would like to get back into fishing for spawn-run trout however I will need a completely new outfit. I would be most appreciative if you guys could help me choose the lightest and shortest possible outfit that would be able to handle fresh spawn-run trout averaging 4 lbs (the largest I have caught was a 13 lbs 5 oz male brown trout in Australia). The streams I usually fish are relatively small (4-8 meters wide) so casting long distances isn’t a priority and I regularly use a rig combination of weighted nymph and glo-bug on a fluorocarbon leader.

Also, my budget is $1,000 for the whole outfit (rod, reel and line) and I’m open to any brand or non-brand. I would prefer to put most of the money into a rod which will help with the ease of casting. I have read very nice things on this forum about the Allen & Co products so I am very interested to hear everyones opinion on an outfit from Justin.

Many thanks,
Simon
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly-fishing outfit for wheelchair user

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the great people here and get the information you need.

Based on your comments of not needing distance you could consider a shorter rod like an 8' rod which would reduce the weight. The problem with a shorter rod is you may not be able to mend as well. You will have to tell us if a shorter rod would work for you. I also think you could drop down to a six weight and that again reduces some weight. You might want to consider a weight forward fly line with a long head. If I were you I would stick with a more expensive fly line so you know the exact specs of the line.

You will have to find a balance between what you can handle and what you need. I suggest you try to cast some different length rods to determine just what length you are going to be able to manage. You will probably be better off sacrificing performance to gain an outfit that you can fish with that doesn't tax you physically.

Frank
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Simon: Welcome to the forum! I agree with Frank, you might be better off dropping down to a 6wt outfit to reduce the overall weight. An Orvis Hydros 6wt, 9ft rod weighs 2 3/4 oz and goes for $495 and they offer a fantastic warranty. The only Allen reel I have is an XL 7/8 it weighs 5.77 oz and it has a great drag and overall very nice finish, for the price you can't beat it. It lists for $75, but if you email Justin he gives members a discount. My other reels are all Lamson Litespeeds, the Lamson Litespeed 2 weighs 3.8 oz and is rated for a 4/5/6 line, but with a 6 wt line doesn't offer much a lot of room for backing, it goes for $299. The Lamson Litespeed 3 weighs 5.1 oz and will hold a ton of backing with a 6 wt line and goes for $339. If you want to hold the spending down I would recommend going for an Allen reel, you won't be disappointed. Lots of folks on the forum have Allen reels and I haven't heard any bad comments about the reel or how it functions.

Larry
Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Hi Larry and Frank,

Thanks for your quick replies and help, it's greatly appreciated.

I will need to get a shorter rod than 9' so I'm thinking of something at 8' 6" or 8' 4". Do you think a 5wt rod with 6-weight line will comfortably handle the larger trout 7+ lbs as I have only previously fished with a 7wt rod/line outfit?

I'm looking at getting the more expensive weight forward low-memory fly line. The two I'm looking at are: 444 Classic Sylk Floating or SA Mastery GPX Floating line. Out of these two lines which do you think will suit my needs best or should I purchase an easier casting line such as Mastery Series Headstart?

Do you guys think the Lamson Litespeed 2 which weighs 3.8 oz will be significantly less taxing on me physically over a few hours fishing than the Allen Trout Series reel which weighs 5.41 oz?

Kind regards,
Simon
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamitedam View Post
Hi Larry and Frank,

Thanks for your quick replies and help, it's greatly appreciated.

I will need to get a shorter rod than 9' so I'm thinking of something at 8' 6" or 8' 4". Do you think a 5wt rod with 6-weight line will comfortably handle the larger trout 7+ lbs as I have only previously fished with a 7wt rod/line outfit?

I'm looking at getting the more expensive weight forward low-memory fly line. The two I'm looking at are: 444 Classic Sylk Floating or SA Mastery GPX Floating line. Out of these two lines which do you think will suit my needs best or should I purchase an easier casting line such as Mastery Series Headstart?

Do you guys think the Lamson Litespeed 2 which weighs 3.8 oz will be significantly less taxing on me physically over a few hours fishing than the Allen Trout Series reel which weighs 5.41 oz?

Kind regards,
Simon
Simon: I don't really know, the big trout I catch on my 5 wt are in the 3-5 lb range and they can test a 5wt rod pretty good especially when dealing with a fast stream. I'm thinking you would be better off with a 6 wt rod but maybe someone who regularly catches fish in the 7 lb rangs can answer your question.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the fly line. I use RIO lines so I can't speak to those two lines, but I'm sure other members can give you the pros and cons of those two lines.

A Lamson 2 fits a 5 wt rod just fine and it would definitely be to your advantage, but the big question is will a 5wt rod handle the size of fish you catch. I will say that if you go to a 6 wt rod you will not be happy with the amount of backing that a Lamson 2 reel holds with 6 wt line.

Larry
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Simon: I don't really know, the big trout I catch on my 5 wt are in the 3-5 lb range and they can test a 5wt rod pretty good especially when dealing with a fast stream. I'm thinking you would be better off with a 6 wt rod but maybe someone who regularly catches fish in the 7 lb rangs can answer your question.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the fly line. I use RIO lines so I can't speak to those two lines, but I'm sure other members can give you the pros and cons of those two lines.

A Lamson 2 fits a 5 wt rod just fine and it would definitely be to your advantage, but the big question is will a 5wt rod handle the size of fish you catch. I will say that if you go to a 6 wt rod you will not be happy with the amount of backing that a Lamson 2 reel holds with 6 wt line.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your suggestions and kind help.

You have convinced me to get a 6wt outfit; I also think a 5wt will struggle to handle the bigger fish in flowing water. Now, it's a matter of narrowing down some fly rods.

Larry, which fly line would you recommend from the RIO range?

Kind regards,
Simon
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road

Is there a way that you can test rods/outfits? That would give a good real world idea of how the rod performs from your chair. I think if you caught a 13lb fish that might make me go to a heavier rod but like others have said that possibly could cause you more fatigue. Ounces make a big difference when casting all day!

The Allen Reels are nice but they are heavier than the Lamson, if money is truly not a factor then get the Lamson's.

Another factor could be the balance of the rod as well as far as fatigue goes so keep that in mind.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

I agree with indymatt, if you could test some rods that would be ideal. Another option for you that I was thinking about was going to a Helios 116-4, 11 ft switch rod, it weighs 4 3/4 oz and it sells for $850, maybe a two handed rod would be less tiring, it would be nice if you could try one first.
Like I said before I think for you an Orvis rod would be best in that they are the lightest in the industry. For example, the Helios 906-4 weighs 2 1/2 oz but sells for $775. The Hydros 906-4 or the 966-4 weighs 3 1/2 oz and sells for $525. Another option seeing how you primarily nymph fish is the new Sage 699-4, 9ft 9" weighs 4 oz sells for $699 it was specifically designed for the nymph fisherman fishing multi-bug rigs. I've seen complete kits selling on EBay for $360 if you are into building your own rod.
I hope you didn't take me out of context when I said don't skimp on the fly line, you said "I'm looking at getting the more expensive weight forward low-memory fly line. The two I'm looking at are: 444 Classic Sylk Floating or SA Mastery GPX Floating line. Out of these two lines which do you think will suit my needs best or should I purchase an easier casting line such as Mastery Series Headstart?" All I meant was buy the best line you can afford, I have no experience with either of those lines, they might be great lines I just don't know. I use the RIO Grand floating line and the RIO Nymph Floating line, both are very good. I have heard excellent reports on the Scientific Anglers Sharkskin GPX (kind of pricey) but go on the SA website and read the reviews or send MoJo a PM he use that line and highly recommends it.

Larry
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road

Also here is flyshop closeout site, they have outstanding deals on rods, reels, and complete outfits. Not sure whether they ship to Australia or not.

Fly Fishing Closeouts - " + docTitle + '
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymatt View Post
Is there a way that you can test rods/outfits? That would give a good real world idea of how the rod performs from your chair. I think if you caught a 13lb fish that might make me go to a heavier rod but like others have said that possibly could cause you more fatigue. Ounces make a big difference when casting all day!

The Allen Reels are nice but they are heavier than the Lamson, if money is truly not a factor then get the Lamson's.

Another factor could be the balance of the rod as well as far as fatigue goes so keep that in mind.
Hi indymatt,

I'm the only one out of my fishing buddies that uses a fly so it's hard to get my hands on different outfits/rods. I went to a local fly-fishing shop a number of days ago and they wouldn’t let me take any rods outside. Also, where I go fishing there isn't any fishing shops on the way that specialize in fly fishing. I guess I'm kind of stuck at buying an outfit without testing it first and at this stage my preference would be to get a second hand rod to cut down the price in case it doesn'r work for me. I would prefer a medium-fast action rod and have since read many rave reviews about the G.Loomis StreamDance Metolius. However, I can't seem to find the weight of this rod as I agree that every ounce is going to make a difference over a few hours fishing.