The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Customer Service....

I know this is probably more apt to go into the 'other gear' forum, but this one see's more traffic and I feel this 'atta boy' needs to be voiced.

I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 11 kayak. It is an '09 model-- well outside of warranty. It see's a ton of use, and while I take care of it, it has been put through it's paces.

I had one of the side handles break on me. I sent an email to customer care at OK.... Stating that the handle has broken, the boat is an 09 model, and that I was looking for guidance and advise on repairing the handle(s).

This is what was sent back to me:
"Thank you for the email. Handles and other accessories that come with our kayaks typically have a 90 day warranty on them. If youd like, please send me your mailing address and contact telephone, and the serial number of your kayak and Id be more than happy to stick some replacements in the mail for you at no charge. Thank you."

Kudos to Jonathan at Ocean Kayak.

I am well aware that the 2 handles likely cost OK a few bux to make, and would only cost me ~ 30.00 to buy the pair, but I must say OK has a customer with me for life.

I hope if anyone is in the market for a kayak that they take this to heart, and give OK a close look. The boats are fantastic, the price is competitive (maybe a little to the steep side), and the company is fantastic!!!

Sorry for the long winded-ness, I am just absolutely impressed and wanted to share with you all.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Customer Service....

Hi T,

Always good to hear happy endings to product service stories.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, can't beat customer service like that!
Reminds me of the service I received from Galvan awhile back, I sent in a reel that I had purchased on EBay that had a sticky drag, I was willing to pay for the repairs but they did the repairs free of charge knowing that I had purchased the reel second hand on EBay! I'm now a real fan of Galvan!

Larry

Old 08-24-2011, 11:57 PM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

I always go out of my way to sing the praises of companies that give excellent customer service. For any of you fellows out there like me who are into firearms: Thompson Center are a pleasure to deal with. Ruger is an absolutely fantastic company who will really go the extra mile for their customers, I'm a customer for life.

I will keep Ocean Kayak in mind if/when I'm in the market.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

sounds like over the top CS
ive had similar experiences with patagonia and lamson
glad to hear of a service repair like that

casey

ARFE
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Always nice to hear about good customer service; for the rod builders Batsen took care of me on a rod I built.

Dan
Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Raindog, thanks for posting it's always great to hear about a company that stands behind its products and goes out of its way for its customers.

Sounds like Ocean Kayak hit it out of the park. Kudos to them, well done!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

i've been thinking about a kayak, and that a huge plus on a brand when deciding.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Let me add another company, TFO. I borrowed a friends rod and broke one of the guides. It was a Lefty Kreh Series I that he had purchased when they first came out. He didn't remember if he ever sent in the warranty and was going to do the repair himself. I said that I would call TFO and pay for the repair, since I broke the guide. I called and the women I spoke to told me to just send the rod in and that they would waive the warranty fee. I know the next rod I buy will be from TFO.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Always good to hear about the lost art of 'customer service'! I would add kuddos to CVabela's for their fine customer service. Bought a pair of wader boots and within two months the stitching was coming out. Took them back and they shipped another pair. Used them around a month and same thing-stitching coming out. Took them back and got a gift card instead of an exchange with no questions asked. I bought a higher priced pair and am extremely pleased with them. They stand behind what they sell!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)