The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Angry Chubs

It seems my favorite trout stream is starting to be taken over by these chubs, I have caught an unusually high number of them this year. Is this a concern to the health of a trout river, do they take over so to speak. If so does anyone take measures into their own and cull them, should that be done or are they harmless to the trout and just more of an annoyance than anything.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chubs

It's my experience that Chubs are generally found in less than desirable waters, mainly due to water temp. You can certainly have some in desirable trout water... but if it's overrun, I would be the temp on that stream is high and not likely satisfactory to trout.

I don't cull any species in any water I fish. It's there water... I'm just visiting. If the DNR or similar agency sees fit to do something, then that's out of my control.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've enjoyed catching chups but like CHI mentioned i'm going to go out on a limb and say the water is too warm. They may move out when the water cools off this winter, if not, believe it or not they are fairly tasty if grilled whole, minus the head.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Everyone I knew and fished with used to throw them up on the bank for the other critters when we caught them. One such river held both native brook trout and atlantic salmon parr. The chubs would invade during the summer when water temps and levels were low.

Even if they didn't eat trout eggs as everone claimed, they competed voraciously for food.

I never ate one, but Isaac Walton had some recipes for them in "The Compleat Angler"

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ever heard of chub baseball?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Oregon has had some problems with Tui Chub taking over lakes and ruining the trout fishery. One lake was poisoned a couple times and is now back to being an outstanding trout lake. There is another lake that ODFW is going to introduce Tiger Trout into to combat the chub.

At the very least if i was in your shoes i would contact your state Fish and Wildlife dept to make sure they are aware of the chub presence in the stream.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I remember back in the days when I was doing a fair amount of great lakes steelheading. On many days it is a slow and seemingly pointless endeavor as you chase a fish that is little more than a ghost on a good day and akin to grabbing a handful of smoke on bad days. On one particular day I was averaging about 25 chub/suckers to one steelhead. Honestly, if it wasn't for those big chubs I would have had a pretty slow day.

If you ever find yourself fishing in Wisconsin give me a shout, I can put you on some chubs.....
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Haters gonna hate.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Check in with J-P. Fishing for Chubs and Dace in his home waters is a lot of fun!

Pocono
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Check in with J-P. Fishing for Chubs and Dace in his home waters is a lot of fun!

Pocono
Allan is right chub is an exciting fish to catch both on dry and nymph on sight as for dace it's far more difficult to catch than trout...
Our chub can get big as far as I've heard on the forum they're smaller in the US.Little by little they swim upstream higher and higher because of the lack of water and the rise of temps and there's nothing we can do about it.Chub now live where there were browns 40 years ago,don't think they're responsible for the disappearing of trout....we are here are some posts
Team Fishing
Do you fish for dace?
fishing for dace.
JMJP1105RCG code