The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Overall Fly Vest

Look no farther:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...view-1744.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

This is what I want to get. My birthday is the 30th, so I am hoping I accmulate enough money to get it.

Fishpond Wasatch Tech Pack Fly Fishing Vest Free Shipping fly fishing gear
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like vests, but they're usually too hot for where I live, and mine isn't set up very well for hydration needs. I've got a Patagonia Reinvest that I like very well, and hope to need more often someday when I live where its cooler and trout run wild.

I've also got a really nice Willy-Joe "gear bag chest", but it gets a touch warm as well. I've gotten to where I use my fanny pack 90+% of the time. Its one Patagonia used to make that has a fairly large main compartment, a smaller front pocket with organizer slots, mesh water bottle pockets on the sides, and compression straps to keep it from bouncing around too much. A little looking around on the internet can find similar packs under $30. I recommend getting one that will hold up made by a high end gear co like The North Face, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Marmot, Lowe Alpine, or a similar company. Heres some: Campmor: Fanny Packs And some more: Lowe Alpine Double Dipper II Fannypack - Save 38%

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great review, Terry. I think that's the one I'm going to start saving my pennies for. Gotta get that new vise first, though.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
Look no farther:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...view-1744.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

I use a cortland one - but most of the time just a small bag - depends on where I am fishing
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makubwa View Post
most of the time just a small bag
Yes... that little purple bag that comes with a bottle of Crown Royal works great. And its free if you don't count the money you spent for the beverage.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Creel View Post
Yes... that little purple bag that comes with a bottle of Crown Royal works great. And its free if you don't count the money you spent for the beverage.

Sounds like somebody started their weekend early! Just kidding, and wish I could have beat you to it!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:02 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

For me anyway is not a vest. I've found out over the years, I really like fanny pack type outfits. My problem with the vests, is, I tend to fill up ever pocket and the thing ends up weighing 25 lbs. I recently got from my lovely wife for Christmas a Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. Very well built and thought out. It will hold 4 System X boxes easily. It also has a neck strap so you can use it like a chest pack. The thing that I like the best is the "fly desk". The front unzips and it has a large fly patch for drying or holding your flies.
Willie J products are great too and the new lineup competes with the Fishpond products. Both are priced reasonably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egWaterdance.jpg (9.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I really do like the Filson strap vest's,but you do pay for them
Aaron
Old 03-11-2007, 02:54 PM

mikenewpal is on a distinguished road

First, thank you to all of you that replied. Your imput has given me some really fine choices to look at. Man, do they make medication for this addiction or will I need to go to flyfishing rehab? I have fished and hunted continually since I was a kid, love it and live to get the opportunity to go...However, I never thought I would get addicted to anything else the way I am hooked on this new flyfishing craze of mine. Jeez, I am going to have to get another job just to pay for all my new found stuff! LOL

I personally like the look and function of the Clear Creek Elkader, Open Range Tech Pack, Rapid River, and the Orvis Pack that Frank has...In other words, just about all of them! They all look awesome! The Decisions, Decisions!

Thanks again for the info

Mike