The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough
Default I'm thinking about a 7 or 8 wt, recommendations?

I'm looking into picking up a 7 or 8 weight rod, (leaning towards an 8, but not stuck on it) I will be using it mostly for tossing big bass bugs and streamers for smallmouth with occasional use for putting big streamers in front of trout on Taneycomo in southern Missouri.

I'm thinking I will be lining it with a sink tip line to help get deeper in the fast riffles I favor fishing. I know that some rods can be finicky about casting these lines, but I am a novice and would appreciate any information I can glean on that subject.

I've got a 5 weight for trout and it has been pulling double duty chasing smallmouth in the rivers and largemouth and panfish in ponds, but it seems to me that on the water I fish, I need to be throwing bigger flies, getting more distance, and getting deeper. I had dreams of fishing more for trout when I bought my first fly rod, but the realities of time, distance to trout water, and the cost of gasoline means I've been spending my limited time closer to home going after smallies.

With all of that in mind, I would also like to keep the cost of the rod and line (I have a spare reel already) in the $200-300 range, anything over $400 would be hard to justify.

I appreciate your recommendations. There is a dizzying array of fly fishing products available, and the wealth of knowledgeable people on here has really helped me in the past to select what I need.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm thinking about a 7 or 8 wt, recommendations?

I am leaning towards a seven weight. That will rely on the size of the flies that you intend to throw. If your flies are up to size 2, you should be fine. You can use larger flies as long as they are not very wind resistant and not too heavy.

If you need to throw larger and heavier, that is where the eight weight comes in.

Two rods that should be fine for you and your budget are from TFO. If you want a rod that could deliver those flies precisely would be the BVK model. It is a smooth and powerful casting rod. If you want a good casting rod but want more but to horse fish in, go with the Axiom model.

Dennis
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Howdy from down the road in Springfield! Recently I scored an older Sage RPL 9' 7wt 2 piece rod to do exactly what you have described, in fact I fished Taney the day before yesterday with it as well. This is a very powerful but very light rod at only 3 1/8th oz., in the hand it feels like a five weight.

Instead of a sink tip line I have gone to Rio sink leaders in the 12' length, I carry one in a 3.9 and another in a 5.6 IPS sink rate. This creates a great large trout, smallmouth, white bass outfit.

Price wise, you can get a Sage RPL for between 200 and 250 on eBay and if you are not familiar with the RPL it was Sage's flagship rod for many years- a favorite for many even to this day. The Rio leaders are about 13 bucks a pop, IMO making sink tip lines obsolete.

---------- Post added at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

there is a 9' 7wt RPL on eBay as of this posting......

Last edited by russellb; 08-26-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Russell and MP, I appreciate the food for thought.

Russ, I want looking for those sinking leaders today, and struck out at Bass Pro and Cabela's, I will have to check Feathercraft next week. Those sound like a good idea, and I will be trying them out for my 5 wt.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hello kvbsm,
i fish a 9' 8 weight sage fli that i love. i aso have a scierra 10' 7 weight that is a gem to cast. both nice rods, but if i where to do it again id go sage.
the main reason being the domestic sage warranty policy.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

For the streamers that I fished last winter below Bull Shoals Dam, we needed a fast 8-wt. to throw the big articulated streamers and 350gr. long head sink tips.

I don't think you will outgun the bass with the 8-wt. Plus, the 8-wt. is more capable when you get the itch to fish saltwater.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I purchased a Redington RedFly2 9'6" 7wt last year for bass and steelhead. I haven't been disappointed, except that the rod seems a little heavy. I would consider it more moderate/fast than fast as it is advertised. I believe the rod comes with a lifetime warranty and they are on sale at Cabelas for $75.

Cabela's: Redington Red.Fly2 Fly Rods
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

Being the king of over kill, I would go with the 8 wt. It will do what you are considering and will, as others have pointed out, work well in salt water fishing.

You mentioning the Taneycomo brought back great memories of our vacation there this time last year. That was my introduction to trout fishing just below the dam (Flat Rock?).
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevthebassman View Post
Thank you Russell and MP, I appreciate the food for thought.

Russ, I want looking for those sinking leaders today, and struck out at Bass Pro and Cabela's, I will have to check Feathercraft next week. Those sound like a good idea, and I will be trying them out for my 5 wt.
Give Feathercraft a shot, I got my sink leaders from Charlie Reading. As for the choice between 7 and 8 that is ultimately a personal choice as in my experience the difference from my 7wt Sage to my 8wt Scott is as huge of a jump as going from the 8wt Scott to my 10wt Thomas and Thomas.

For me, for where I live the choice is clearly the 7 if I were to have one or the other. This is because the stream smallmouth, white bass and large trout fishing is easily fish more times with the 7 than it's not. What I'm saying is- when fishing with my 7 I rarely feel that I should have brought my 8 and when I am fishing my 8 I find myself thinking my 7 would have done well quite often.

I know that they use those bigger rods and big streamers on the White and loads of success. For me- as close to several rivers that I live I fortunately don't have to work that hard, I just go to a different river or go a different day.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Again more food for thought, I appreciate the replies.

Russellb, you've got a PM inbound.