The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Are Fly Vests a Thing of the Past?

My waders have 4 pockets on the outside, I could actually go without a vest but being I think I have to have everything I wear a vest. Simms mesh vest will be my new vest when I need a replacement.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonds View Post
What do you guys think of this. Seems like it may stay put even when bending over and easy to use. Price doesnt seem so bad either.

One sad learning from responses here is that my favorite old Orvis wood frame teardrop net is an item "from fly fishing past"
Simmonds, my advice is to go try these things on...bend over, wave your arms, reach, etc. Websites and salesmen on videos are good at making things look and sound like exactly what you need! There are so many options these days, you can find the best for you.

I don't know where you got the idea that your old wooden net is out dated. No way!

Tourproto: doesn't your pack have a waist belt? I use a Fishpond guide pack which they call a chest/fanny but there is no way you could wear the thing on your chest. I use the shoulder strap like you and buckle the belt and keep it loose. I've struggled with this pack, too. But I've gotten used to it and finally like it. You do have to twist it around when you want something, it does get in the way sometimes, it does not hold a net very easily...but it is pretty light, holds what I need for normal day fishing, it keeps you cooler than a vest. Lots of trade offs in this silly game!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 PM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

I use both a vest and a waist pack. Works for me by allowing me to hang the net and other items from the vest and store fly boxes, tippet material, etc. in the waist pack that has a flip open feature that I like.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM

mvalbano is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about using a waist pack and a lanyard. Vests are great to keep everything right there, but over the years i realized I don't need everything with me on, every time I go out to the water.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I forgot to mention I use one of these too when I do day hikes. I take the bladder from my camelback and throw it in here. Put a flox box in the shoulder strap carrier. Can hook the net, nippers and pliers to the waist strap part.

Can also carry extra rods. I usuall carry a 1wt and a 3wt that I have a Ross Evo #0 with spools of 1 & 3 wt so I just swap spools out. Sometimes I throw a 4wt on in case it is windy. Rain Jacket / Sandwiches / Knife / Lighter / Bug Spray / Sunblock all goes in and I am ready for a day in the mts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

tourproto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Simmonds, my advice is to go try these things on...bend over, wave your arms, reach, etc. Websites and salesmen on videos are good at making things look and sound like exactly what you need! There are so many options these days, you can find the best for you.

I don't know where you got the idea that your old wooden net is out dated. No way!

Tourproto: doesn't your pack have a waist belt? I use a Fishpond guide pack which they call a chest/fanny but there is no way you could wear the thing on your chest. I use the shoulder strap like you and buckle the belt and keep it loose. I've struggled with this pack, too. But I've gotten used to it and finally like it. You do have to twist it around when you want something, it does get in the way sometimes, it does not hold a net very easily...but it is pretty light, holds what I need for normal day fishing, it keeps you cooler than a vest. Lots of trade offs in this silly game!
Hi Dean,

Yes my FishPond does have a waist belt, but I never thought of using it at the same time as the shoulder strap. I just watched the video of the Patagonia chest pack and saw that he wears the shoulder strap and the belt strap at the same time. I may give that a try, but I already have a built in wader belt on my waders and not sure how the Fishpond belt will easily slide around without snagging on the wader belt/buckle. I guess the Fishpond belt would have to be fairly loose.

Thanks,

David
Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have one of the Allen FF back/chest pack combos that I use when I'm gonna be gone all day. Carrying a lunch, a bladder full of water, a med kit, etc, and a place to carry a light jacket is worth the extra weight.

In shorter trips I have become a big fan of this cheap little bag from I bought from BPS. They no longer sell them though since it was just a spring classic sale item which only cost me $10.

It's a small shoulder bag. Carries one large fly box filled with large dries, buggers, SSLs, etc. Two small boxes filled with small dries and nymphs/midges, plus all my tippets, tools, and a bottle of water.

I bought it thinking it would be a good urban pond bag but when I went to CO for 3 days of fishing I used it because my truck was never more than a 30 minute hike away.