The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM

simmonds is on a distinguished road
Default Are Fly Vests a Thing of the Past?

Some may know from another thread of mine that I am back fly fishing after about a decade. One of the items lost during this time was my trusty old Orvis fly vest, you know the traditional style with many pockets and a fly patch on the left chest area. Well I was looking through pictures on this site and others and noticed most are now using what looks like chest or fanny type packs in place of the vest of many different sizes and styles. I was just getting ready to go out and buy a new vest but now am wondering if this new pack system is better.

Any opinions on either style would be great! Thanks again,
Chris.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Fly Vests a Thing of the Past?

Those of us that are "gravitationally challenged" will always wear vests.
I tried a chest pack exactly one day and couldn't see my feet.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Go with whatever style that you feel comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with wearing a vest, by all means get one.

I stopped wearing a vest about ten years ago. I have two different chest packs and a lanyard. My preference is to minimize. If I can get away with everything that I need in my pockets, I am happy. The negative is that there is the chance to forget something. With a vest you have a better chance of carry everything.

Dennis
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I just went through this debate myself and it cost me alot of $

I have my Simms Guide vest which I always liked and wore. I decided to go slimline and bought a Simms headwater waist pack Simms Headwater Waist Pack | Front Range Anglers | Boulder, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guide Service

I will be honest I am not 100% in love with the waist pack other than I do alot of wet wading when it is warm. The hip pack is good and serviceable, just not great. Basically Ive ran into some "deeper" water and it does get wet causing moisture for my camera , wallet etc etc.For me if I am wearing waders I will always wear the vest.Mostly due to gravitational challenge. Waders accentuate my moobs (man boobs) and therefore no pictures allowed.If I am wet wading ie shorts and tshirt I grab the hip pack, if it is warm enought to wet wade at 9000 feet, it is to warm to have a vest on too.

I do have both set up with forceps, nippers, floatant, leader and tippet. All I have to do is swap fishing license and fly boxes between the two, so that I dont leave anything at home.

Vest
Pros: carry multiple fly boxes , more pockets, gear to me stays drier , just more room in genereal

Cons: tend to carry way more than needed, to warm in the summer

Hip Pack

Pros: light, comfy, easy to use , forces you to dial in your fly selection and carry one box. I now have spring, summer , fall fly boxes.

Cons: Not a lot of room to hang gadgets from so I put all of them inside (sometimes a pain) , can hang low and get wet.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i use a vest for most of my fishing and a neck lanyard for days that i know i wont be needing much stuff.
i will probably get a hip/chest pack before next season and try it out

casey

ARFE
Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I'm with dennis, whatever works for you.
Thought it was a "fishers uniform" when I bought mine.
Switched out of a vest longer ago than Dennis, mostly due to overheating issues.
My only thought is if you buy another vest, a darker color is sneakier, but can get warm.
There are many ways to go, have fun sorting it out.

Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

can't remember the last time i wore a vest....

i've got both chest and waist pack these days.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I've got winter and summer vests, a chest pack and a neck lanyard. The least I like is the chest pack.

Rick
Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I don't like chest packs, more in my way then anything else

I have a hip pack I wear, more while on someone elses boat.

I use a lanyard, when I'm rowing or when I don't need a lot of flies.. and I'll put a fly box in each pocket, the lanyward, and that's it - by far the most comfortable.

Vest - if I have to carry a lot of stuff - wade fishing pribaly 75+% of the time
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM

simmonds is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone. I really appreciate it and it gives me some things to think about. I kind of like the chest style packs. This one from Orvis might be nice Fly Fishing Chest Pack / Safe Passage® Vertical Chest Pack -- Orvis. Especially in warm weather.

I used to own a mesh body, waist high vest that was nice in the summer. I could wear a pair of shorts, Keen sandals on my feet, and the vest without a shirt under and fish on hot summer days. When you get too warm just fall backwards into the cool water and your good to go. I used to love fishing small streams this way. Sometimes even with just a fly box in one pocket and some nippers and floatant in the other.

The waist packs remind me too much of the old fanny packs...which by the way perform almost the same function as far as i can tell and cost about 10 dollars at the most.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

What is this lanyard thing? Being a minimalist myself, this may be the way to go during the summer.