The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 09:53 PM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Braided Leaders!

Sorrry you see it that way but when you're self employed sometimes you just have to go with convenience! I'm lucky I have time to tie my own flies.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky to find time to tie my own shoes!

Does anyone else have the problem of furled leaders twisting? When the one I tried goes slack, it twists on itself like phone cord or line from a spinning reel. I don't know if thats common, or if the guy that made mine did it wrong.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Jakeway, it isn't normal. They should be limp and straight. Even when I make mine out of nylon, I put 3 oz weight on end, let the two sides spin together, then take the weight off and let it spin a few the other way. Then all is good.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Smolt is on a distinguished road

The furled leaders I have used are made of flourocarbon. They do nicely lay out the fly, but they kink -- badly. They are very difficult, if not impossible to unkink, especially in the longer lengths -- mine are 9' and 12'. As others have said, they are very expensive, especially if you can't use them because of kinking. I bought four for starters, don't think I will be using them very frequently.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolt View Post
The furled leaders I have used are made of flourocarbon. They do nicely lay out the fly, but they kink -- badly. They are very difficult, if not impossible to unkink, especially in the longer lengths -- mine are 9' and 12'. As others have said, they are very expensive, especially if you can't use them because of kinking. I bought four for starters, don't think I will be using them very frequently.
Thems some LONG furled. Not sure I understand why so long. I know the braided come in 9' to 12' lengths.
The furled I use are 5' to 6 1/2'. That is the beauty of them, them you add tippet anywhere from 3' to 6'.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Are you sure they're not really braided leaders? Most furled leaders for trout anyway are 5'-7' long and you add tippet to it. I'm not trying to be an smart ass, but there is a lot of people that think furled and braided leaders are the same thing, when they're completely different animals. What brand leaders are they?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Smolt is on a distinguished road

They are sold as furled flourocarbon leaders by a well-known, reputable tackle and fly company that will remain nameless. They are billed as "saltwater" and "salmon" leaders. I use them with two-handed rods, thus, when I add tippet, the leaders are anywhere from 12' to 15' long. I don't want to name the company from which I purchased them.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM

Smolt, that is a new one to me and cool you don't want to name names.
Can't give an opinion on something I am not familiar with.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
They are sold as furled flourocarbon leaders by a well-known, reputable tackle and fly company that will remain nameless. They are billed as "saltwater" and "salmon" leaders. I use them with two-handed rods, thus, when I add tippet, the leaders are anywhere from 12' to 15' long. I don't want to name the company from which I purchased them.
Smolt, I'm going to play the devils advocate and say it's Feathercraft leaders you have. These guys are pretty reputable. Why don't you call or email them and explain the problem with them. I'll bet they'll treat you right.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM

FishyWrench is on a distinguished road

After all the discussion of the furled, rigged up a jig and made quite a few of my own. Great leaders...but since the only furled I have ever seen have been made personally, I decided to order one to compare. I now fully understand what Joni meant by this statement....

"Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)"