The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Braided Leaders!

Yesterday, I tried out some braided leaders for the first time.

I've always used tapered leaders or home-tied segmented leaders in the past.

I was really impressed with these leaders. No memory whatsoever, which is nice, and they really laid out well. The lay-out of these leaders is more straight than I've experienced with tapered leaders. Changing tippets was easy too. No problems with floatation. The braided leader floated as well as my tapered leaders do.

I don't think I will be going back to tapered leaders. I like the casting qualities of the braided so much better.

Here's what I was using:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6014
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Braided Leaders!

Did you go to the secret spot? If so how was it?

I never tried a braided leader but I fished one day with a friend that was trying one. My thought were if I can see that leader 10 times better then I can see my tappered leader, the fish must be seeing it too. That day I caught 6 fish in an hour and he got skunked. He gave up on the braided leader that day and I'm convinced not to fish one. Just my .02 cents.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you like BRAIDED leaders, you would LOVE Furled. Like I said they are not the same, but they have similar features like the fact that they are easy to see and they have no memory.
I just like the pick up features of a furled over a braided and yes I have used both.
The furled I use however are 5' to 6' and the rest is flouro.

Exactly what you said CC about the visibility thing. My furled are like I have said either Uni Thread in discrete colors or clear Nylon but I also use 5' or more flouro on the end. The furl makes it lay out nice and straight.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Well if you like BRAIDED leaders, you would LOVE Furled. Like I said they are not the same, but they have similar features like the fact that they are easy to see and they have no memory.
I just like the pick up features of a furled over a braided and yes I have used both.
The furled I use however are 5' to 6' and the rest is flouro.

Exactly what you said CC about the visibility thing. My furled are like I have said either Uni Thread in discrete colors or clear Nylon but I also use 5' or more flouro on the end. The furl makes it lay out nice and straight.
Where do you get them?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

Blue Sky Fly makes the best furled leaders. That's all I use and they are awesome.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:55 PM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

Website is blueskyfly.com check it out.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)

Joni:

I tried to send you a PM, but got this error message:

Joni has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 PM

Kai, try flygoddess@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2007, 04:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriverbrown View Post
Blue Sky Fly makes the best furled leaders. That's all I use and they are awesome.
I only use furled leaders also. Tried mono and Uni and stayed with uni.
Blue Sky is way overpriced IMO. You can build a furled leader yourself for pennies,
Peninsula Fly Fishers – Furled Leaders Or you can buy a DVD from Kathy Scott on building them ($25)
Whether it'is Uni thread or mono they're cheap to build.
BS leaders @ $11.95 each? Can you say rip off?