Braided Leaders!

Kai

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried out some braided leaders for the first time.

I've always used tapered leaders or home-tied segmented leaders in the past.

I was really impressed with these leaders. No memory whatsoever, which is nice, and they really laid out well. The lay-out of these leaders is more straight than I've experienced with tapered leaders. Changing tippets was easy too. No problems with floatation. The braided leader floated as well as my tapered leaders do.

I don't think I will be going back to tapered leaders. I like the casting qualities of the braided so much better.

Here's what I was using:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...758&group_id=10660&cat_id=5133&subcat_id=6014

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Did you go to the secret spot? If so how was it?

I never tried a braided leader but I fished one day with a friend that was trying one. My thought were if I can see that leader 10 times better then I can see my tappered leader, the fish must be seeing it too. That day I caught 6 fish in an hour and he got skunked. He gave up on the braided leader that day and I'm convinced not to fish one. Just my .02 cents.

Joni

Reaction score
Well if you like BRAIDED leaders, you would LOVE Furled. Like I said they are not the same, but they have similar features like the fact that they are easy to see and they have no memory.
I just like the pick up features of a furled over a braided and yes I have used both.
The furled I use however are 5' to 6' and the rest is flouro.

Exactly what you said CC about the visibility thing. My furled are like I have said either Uni Thread in discrete colors or clear Nylon but I also use 5' or more flouro on the end. The furl makes it lay out nice and straight.

Kai

Reaction score
Well if you like BRAIDED leaders, you would LOVE Furled. Like I said they are not the same, but they have similar features like the fact that they are easy to see and they have no memory.
I just like the pick up features of a furled over a braided and yes I have used both.
The furled I use however are 5' to 6' and the rest is flouro.

Exactly what you said CC about the visibility thing. My furled are like I have said either Uni Thread in discrete colors or clear Nylon but I also use 5' or more flouro on the end. The furl makes it lay out nice and straight.
Where do you get them?

Joni

Reaction score
Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)

Kai

Reaction score
Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)

Joni:

I tried to send you a PM, but got this error message:

Joni has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

mojo

Reaction score
Blue Sky Fly makes the best furled leaders. That's all I use and they are awesome.
I only use furled leaders also. Tried mono and Uni and stayed with uni.
Blue Sky is way overpriced IMO. You can build a furled leader yourself for pennies,
Peninsula Fly Fishers – Furled Leaders Or you can buy a DVD from Kathy Scott on building them ($25)
Whether it'is Uni thread or mono they're cheap to build.
BS leaders @ $11.95 each? Can you say rip off?

madriverbrown

Reaction score
Sorrry you see it that way but when you're self employed sometimes you just have to go with convenience! I'm lucky I have time to tie my own flies.

Jakeway

Reaction score
I'm lucky to find time to tie my own shoes! :)

Does anyone else have the problem of furled leaders twisting? When the one I tried goes slack, it twists on itself like phone cord or line from a spinning reel. I don't know if thats common, or if the guy that made mine did it wrong.

Joni

Reaction score
Jakeway, it isn't normal. They should be limp and straight. Even when I make mine out of nylon, I put 3 oz weight on end, let the two sides spin together, then take the weight off and let it spin a few the other way. Then all is good.

Smolt

Reaction score
The furled leaders I have used are made of flourocarbon. They do nicely lay out the fly, but they kink -- badly. They are very difficult, if not impossible to unkink, especially in the longer lengths -- mine are 9' and 12'. As others have said, they are very expensive, especially if you can't use them because of kinking. I bought four for starters, don't think I will be using them very frequently.

Joni

Reaction score
The furled leaders I have used are made of flourocarbon. They do nicely lay out the fly, but they kink -- badly. They are very difficult, if not impossible to unkink, especially in the longer lengths -- mine are 9' and 12'. As others have said, they are very expensive, especially if you can't use them because of kinking. I bought four for starters, don't think I will be using them very frequently.
Thems some LONG furled. Not sure I understand why so long. I know the braided come in 9' to 12' lengths.
The furled I use are 5' to 6 1/2'. That is the beauty of them, them you add tippet anywhere from 3' to 6'.

mojo

Reaction score
Are you sure they're not really braided leaders? Most furled leaders for trout anyway are 5'-7' long and you add tippet to it. I'm not trying to be an smart ass, but there is a lot of people that think furled and braided leaders are the same thing, when they're completely different animals. What brand leaders are they?

Smolt

Reaction score
They are sold as furled flourocarbon leaders by a well-known, reputable tackle and fly company that will remain nameless. They are billed as "saltwater" and "salmon" leaders. I use them with two-handed rods, thus, when I add tippet, the leaders are anywhere from 12' to 15' long. I don't want to name the company from which I purchased them.

Joni

Reaction score
Smolt, that is a new one to me and cool you don't want to name names.
Can't give an opinion on something I am not familiar with.

mojo

Reaction score
They are sold as furled flourocarbon leaders by a well-known, reputable tackle and fly company that will remain nameless. They are billed as "saltwater" and "salmon" leaders. I use them with two-handed rods, thus, when I add tippet, the leaders are anywhere from 12' to 15' long. I don't want to name the company from which I purchased them.
Smolt, I'm going to play the devils advocate and say it's Feathercraft leaders you have. These guys are pretty reputable. Why don't you call or email them and explain the problem with them. I'll bet they'll treat you right.

FishyWrench

Reaction score
After all the discussion of the furled, rigged up a jig and made quite a few of my own. Great leaders...but since the only furled I have ever seen have been made personally, I decided to order one to compare. I now fully understand what Joni meant by this statement....

"Blue Sky...LOL In other words, what he said. ;-)"