The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default important gear storage question

So I'm a college student with a really small apartment and I have lots of fly fishing gear, so I'm planning on keeping it all in a duffle bag inside the trunk of my honda, which is parked outside sometimes in the sun. Will that damage any of the gear over time? It's in San Diego, CA so it doesn't get THAT hot. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: important gear storage question

Since it isnt going to be in direct light for long periods of time, it should be fine. However, i would be more concerned with theft. To spend all that money and time aquiring gear you love only to have someone nik it from you in an instant....
Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

put that bag in your closet or under your bed or wherever inside your apt.
i was robbed of about 1500 bucks worth of gear about 10 years ago stolen out of the trunk of my buddies car

casey

ARFE
Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Like the other guys, I'd be more concerned about theft.

I would take the time to make space for your tackle.

Dennis
Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'd say if you can find room for a duffle bag in your honda, you can find room for it in your apt. Heat doesn't help tackle, and a thief might well help himself to your tackle in your car.
Gary
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kfisher99,

It may not get real hot along the beach but just a few miles inland and it can get extremely hot. Heat might deteriorate your leader material, anything that is plastic might melt or deform. Some fly dressings may be altered. I just wouldn't take the chance.

Frank
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

A couple of things to keep in mind here. Theft is one. Although you may not realize it, someone always sees you storing stuff in a car. Heat in the trunk causes humidity. If your reels are disc drags and yo don't keep the drags backed off, this may cause the drag system to lock up (or stick). The fly line isn't in water, so it may also be heating up and cooling unnaturally. As far as the rods, my only experience was many years back with a Daiwa mini spin. I left it together in the trunk for a few days. Upon taking it out, the rod formed a curve in the top end...which never straightened out. Just my 2 cents. Hope you didn't mind.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I concur with the above advice. Theft and heat are best avoided.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

The upside of keeping your gear in the trunk is that you are ready to fish wherever you may be in your car. I live in San Francisco - so San Diego seems hot. I'd probably at least store leaders and tippet somewhere cooler.
Depending on your neighborhood and the $$$ factor of your car, you might want to keep the stuff inside. If you keep it in your car nobody will see you loading/unloading the gear except at the river.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Noiso, love the name and snappy quote.
As I live near fish, the gear never leaves the car.
If I wasn't fishing salt, I'd hide the FFishing stuff.
Unless your Honda is wired like Kit, and will shock the snot out of the bad guys.
I lost enough stuff to say it.
PS. Hot tippet bad.

Jim