The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough
Default Best book for a beginner.

If you could only choose one book for the beginner fly fisherman to read, which one would it be? "The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" seems to be the one recommended a lot via the internet, but I figured I'd ask everyone here.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Best book for a beginner.

Before I started back in the 1970's, I read a small paperback put out by Fenwick. A lot of books have come and gone since than and I guess that they all have something to offer. Matching the Hatch and Tactics on Trout are 2 favorites of mine.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

If we aren't talking too young, say 13-16yrs. "Curtis creek manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
If we aren't talking too young, say 13-16yrs. "Curtis creek manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson.
Yup. That and The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing are very good starter books. The Orvis guide you might find yourself referring to well after you lose beginner status.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Oh I'm talking about the 35 year old range...myself. I just bought the Orivs Beginning Fly Fishing book. So far, real good.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

My fiancee bought the Orvis guide for Kindle and we have both been reading that. Otherwise I just read the forum a lot

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

For me it was "The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing". I found it helpful and easy to understand. Not as much as hands on help with an instructor, but helpful none the less.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I wouldnt call it the bible of fishing but I have Sight Fishing for Trout by Landon Mayer and it is really good in helping you understand tactics around where fish lay and how to approach for best results.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

A good starter book should cover all aspects of the sport... basic knots and rigging, gear, casting, different species, warm, cold and salt water, reading the water and so on. I mean, there's little use of reading water and matching hatches if you're using a fly tied directly to a mismatched fly line!
It should paint a broad brush and step aside for the readers area of personal interest. The Manefesto and Orvis Guide do just that.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Yup at ya...
The manifesto is entertaining for grown-up folks too.
Maybe not the intro to modern flyfishing, but a grounding, in the sport, and sneaking up on trout..
Mayer is workable too.
Essence of flycasting by Mel Kreiger, will get you past the cast in good shape (DVD too).