The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good fish story.

The other day my Canadian friend Bill told me he was fishing poppers for Smallmouth and had a giant Pike hit the fly. He fought it for about two minutes and it pulled loose. He said we should go back and try and hook it again. The next day we went to the same spot and got nothing but little Pike for more than an hour. Then the big one boiled on my fly, but missed the fly entirely. I kept casting in the same general area for another 10 minutes and got nothing. Then like a morter shell going off in the water it was on. I fought it for less than a minute and the fly popped out of it's mouth and shot back over my shoulder nearly hitting my buddy. I hoped it had not had a hook in it and came back for a third try at it. On the third day trying for this fish my buddy got up on the bank with a video camera and I went into about a foot of water and made a cast. I stripped line all the way to the leader and paused before lifting the fly out for a second cast. As I paused it the Pike came out of the deeper water and smashed the fly in less than 18" of water right in front of me. Bill got the hook set on video. It then ran out to deep water and jumped. It did a double flip coming clean out of the water, also on video. By this point I was so full of adreneline I could have had a heart attack. I then fought it for several minutes and all of a sudden it stuck solid. I looked up at the rod tip and it looked like I was tied to a parked car. I thought "Oh no! I think I lost it." I pictured a big chunk of wood with my fly stuck to it and the Pike swimming away. I knew there would be no more shots at this fish and was in fact surprised we were able to hook it three days in a row in the first place. At this point I made the decision to go swimming if I had to and started handing off things to Bill who came out in the water to get them with just his regular shoes and pants on. No waders. What a pal. As I went in farther, I got to almost the top of my waders and the fish was back swimming along with a pile of weeds. I started back for shore and tried to grab the fish with one hand. As soon as I touched it, she fled at a high rate of speed back into the deep water. On the next try I landed it. All of this was caught on video. To great for words. I seriously owe my friend Bill one for this. On a side note, we had a Pike Fly swap here on the forum I was a part of. We did not get the whole 12 people we started off looking for but I tied 12 anyway. This left me with several extras, all with the fly swap toe tag still on them. I took one of them and cut the toe tag off before I left home just for this. My extra swap fly made one cast and is now retired. Here is the Pike.
Click the image to open in full size.
Here is the fly.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Good fish story.

Awesome adventure Dan and awesome fish!!! Thanks for sharing. When do we see the video?

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Great story and an awesome fish.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What a fish! Looking forward to the video!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Now THAT's a fish story!!!
Very cool.
Gary
Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great story Dan, congratulations

Now where is the video.

Dave
Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and get the video posted in the next few days. It's even pretty much G rated. I thought it was Pretty cool that we got the cast, the hit, the fight and landing it along with the release all on pretty much uninterupted video. We paused the video to get a still photo, but other than that the camera ran the whole time. There's one semi bad word in it but I can bleep it out before I post it.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Excellent story! Thanks for sharing it! Looking forward to the video and congratulations!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful fish. I can't wait for the video.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, the video of me fighting the tarpon I caught this summer is not so G-rated so I commend you on your restraint!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...