The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tree Slinging

Great job on the three that didn't get away. Some sacrifices have to be made to keep the tackle Gods happy.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Maybe that explains why I haven't been catching much lately! I haven't lost a lure in a while...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Good story.

Reminds me why I tie my own flies. Those three streamers cost about fifty cents in hooks and materials.

Chris
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have certainly given many,many sacrifices to the tree gods myself
way to keep at it!

casey

ARFE
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

One of my fishing buddies from years ago, who was probably 70 years my senior - in his mid 90's - canoed up as I was trying to retrieve a fly from a branch while standing in my canoe.

In his thick Maine accent he said "Now that musta been a WICKED good salmon. Trout nevah jump that high".

I gave him a long strip of polar bear hair from some that a friend who was a taxidermist had given to me. He fished a lot of black ghosts in the spring. He was extraordinarily pleased, but said that most of it would be wasted on him. I protested, then he said,

" Hell, there's no way that I can possibly live much moah than to right about heah" while he poiinted to a spot on the strip about a foot and a half down.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dave,

I looked on-line for one of those gizmo's that you toss up over the limb to either cut it or pull it down to where you can reach it but couldn't fine one. I have used rocks and an old sinking line that I used to carry for just this purpose. Depending on how high they were and since you're in a kayak you could carry a 6' pruning stick. You know what I'm talking about right? I hate losing flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you hope to cut the branch, they make survival saws that are in essence highly abrasive strands that you work like a hack saw (think using dental floss or fishing line to cut cheese or the like). You could attach one of these to a longer rope and weight one end to flick it over or around branches. Just a thought if you're trying to remove the branch.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately these streamers will have to be a sacrificed. To many submerged limbs coupled with deep water and current to risk my wife and kids future. I do appreciate the advice though.

Dave