The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 AM

smog7 will become famous soon enough
Default Leaders, tippets, and flies

I am slowly starting to get the hang of fly fishing. The one thing I have been wondering about is fly size in relation to leader and tippet size.

I have a 9 foot 6 weight rod set up.

I am currently using an 8" piece of 30 lbs mono tied to a 5 foot 4-6x furled leader with a two foot section of 5x tippet.

How many leader sizes can I use with my 6 weight floating fly line? One size smaller and one larger?

Also, to use larger flies in the 6-8 range can I simply tie on a larger sized tipped to my 4-6x furled leader?

In the past I had tried fishing a size 6 marabou muddler using the same 6 weight set up with a tapered 5x leader and I could not cast the damn thing.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaders, tippets, and flies

A six weight can be considered a general purpose fly rod like a five weight. Because of its versatility, it can be used for a variety of presentations (dry, nymph, streamer). Even though lighter rods will present smaller flies on fine tippets cleaner, a six weight still can be used for this presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog7 View Post
How many leader sizes can I use with my 6 weight floating fly line? One size smaller and one larger?
Your leader sizes can vary depending on your fly selection. I use short leaders from five feet all the way to twelve plus feet. My tippets range from 0x to 6x.

Quote:
Also, to use larger flies in the 6-8 range can I simply tie on a larger sized tipped to my 4-6x furled leader?
Here is my guess.

Your furled leader is designed to turn over flies that would normally work well with 4x to 6x tippets. It may not be heavy enough to turn over larger flies.

So for larger flies, either change to a heavier furled leader or go to a short tapered leader. You can use the correct tippet in this case.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Smog,
Tippet size is determined by fly size; divide the size of the fly by 4 and you will get the approximate tippet size. A size 12 fly divided by 4 gives you 3; your tippet should then be 3x.
Dan
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

And if that seems like too much tippet for clear still water; divide the hook size by 3 instead of 4.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

All good info, Frank Whiton has also posted a good piece that would be worth your time.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ame-thing.html

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
All good info, Frank Whiton has also posted a good piece that would be worth your time.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ame-thing.html

Rick

This is some excellent info.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM

thanks for the help everyone.

Mosca, when I asked about leader size I was in fact referring to "3x, 4x..." and not length.

I guess what I am asking is if I can use a 4x or an 8x leader on my 6 weight fly rod without casting problems.

Last edited by smog7; 08-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mosca, when I asked about leader size I was in fact referring to "3x, 4x..." and not length.
I was not sure what you were asking, so I covered both length and tippet diameter.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM

so would I be able to successfuly cast an 8x leader using a 6 weight fly line and rod?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM

anyone? am I missing something?