The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trolling in the USA

I am just curious, and please don't think I am trying to start something. Just trying to understand where you are coming from, as are others I am sure. What is the debate? Do they think there is no challenge? Are these privately owned waters where they set their own rules? A pay and fish type place?

The waters I fish are regulated by the state they lie within. I have fished in many different states and never recall a regulation against trolling. Just to make sure we are on the same page. I think of trolling as pulling a lure/fly/bait behind a boat/tube using the power of the boat/person kicking.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makubwa View Post
Yes. It is written in the rules at most waters here. No trolling allowed.
As I say i really don't have a problem with it, and I don't see why people do. Think the English are stuck up in many ways. It is an interesting debate though.
Answer one question please. Is trolling in the UK the same as trolling in the US?
Are we talking the same thing?
The reason I ask, is because I eat sausage links sometimes for breakfast. English eat bangers. I put stuff in the trunk of my car. They put it in the boot. Etc, etc., etc.
If it is the same thing, I'd be willing to guess the reason it's frowned upon it's not casting a fly to a fish, it's just throwing a line out with a bugger on and hoping a fish takes it. I don't want to upset or offend anyone if that's how you do it, but that's how I see it. Actually many times at different lakes I've been on you'll see a couple guys out in tubes or toons, flailing back and forth with a flyrod and finally throwing out the line, start kicking back and stripping the line out and wait for a hit. Not my cup of tea, but whatever trips your trigger.
Also I would call the English stuck up, but just set in their ways. They've been doing it long enough God knows.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Actually many times at different lakes I've been on you'll see a couple guys out in tubes or toons, flailing back and forth with a flyrod and finally throwing out the line, start kicking back and stripping the line out and wait for a hit. Not my cup of tea, but whatever trips your trigger.
Also I would call the English stuck up, but just set in their ways. They've been doing it long enough God knows.

It trips my trigger and makes my rod bend. What you described seems to be my most successful method of lake fishing. I stay on the move constantly in my float tube. I troll using my diving fins instead of "Float Tube" fins.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Tube trolling......way too boring. Try a nice Maine Guide or Grande laker canoe about 20 feet long...silently cutting through the fog of early morning...not a ripple on the water and not a splash of an oar. A smooth silent glide....the paddles staying in the water the wholetime so as not to spook the trout or salmon. A grey ghost gliding behind the stern about 20 yards.....just another smelt in the cold clear water. Looking for that elusive someone to eat it.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Tube trolling......way too boring. Try a nice Maine Guide or Grande laker canoe about 20 feet long...silently cutting through the fog of early morning...not a ripple on the water and not a splash of an oar. A smooth silent glide....the paddles staying in the water the wholetime so as not to spook the trout or salmon. A grey ghost gliding behind the stern about 20 yards.....just another smelt in the cold clear water. Looking for that elusive someone to eat it.
I'm working on getting something I can use a trolling motor. I agree, a canoe is better.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

Do you mostly troll with a flyline out in the water behind you or a spinning rod with lure?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

This is a fly forum........ of course I use a fly line and a very well crafted Streamer..no weight allowed. It should be noted that trolling is not a legal method on lakes or rivers designated FFO,(Flyfishing only) in Maine.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Do you mostly troll with a flyline out in the water behind you or a spinning rod with lure?
I use either my 5wt or 7wt fly rod with sinking line. I catch a lot more fish then the folks I see on shore in their lawn chairs.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

I am sure you do.....

Still wish folks here in the UK could get their heads around this. DO YOU KNOW - many lakes won't even let you drift with a fly out behind your craft!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I am sure you do.....

Still wish folks here in the UK could get their heads around this. DO YOU KNOW - many lakes won't even let you drift with a fly out behind your craft!

No, I didn't know that. There is a whole different mentality over there. Good luck to you on folks coming around.