The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM

wvmountee is on a distinguished road
Default newbie to flyfishing...have gear, flies, eager, but clueless

I just came across this forum while searching for articles on flyfishing. Just last week after mentioning flyfishing to a coworker and that I was thinking about getting into it after being a spinning, casting fisherman all my life, told me not to go and buy one, that he would give me an outfit that he had. Thinking I was getting an old hand me down ( of which I would have been eternally grateful!!)he gave me a brand new Orvis rod, reel,vest, net, tippets, leaders, and 4 boxes of flies (about 50-60), of which I don't know hide nor hair of. I am reading articles about this fly and that fly and have not been able to get a photo to go with the name of the fly. I saw where the Orvis beginners flyfishing book is a pretty good one for a beginner to use to learn the sport. Any thing else in the meantime? I live about 1 minute from a really good troutstream here in east Tennessee and have tried my new outfit there 1 time. I was glad no one watched me, cause it was a sight to behold. Looked a little bit like that monkey #$#$#@ a football if you know what I mean. Anyway, I am glad I came here so I can get the skinny on flyfishing from you experts.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: newbie to flyfishing...have gear, flies, eager, but clueless

Dvd's, books, internet and youtube can be a big help.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

As jcw355 said there are any number of books, DVD's and Videos available. Goggle "fly fishing" and use the site eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Trusted Advice for the Curious Life | eHow.comto start with and they provide free on line videos on many aspects of fly fishing.

As a self taught fly fisherman I must express the thought that you need to get someone to show you how to cast. Orvis offers free classes to beginners.

Briefly, the fly cast is different in that you are using the weight of the line to cast. The line's drag and weight loads the rod and then releases. You are trying to keep the line in loops parallel to the ground. The elbow is kept close to the chest and the hand action is more like hammering nails then the casting action used in spinning or bait casting.

The old school was in using a clock from a side view, you keep the rod between 10 and 2. As you gain experience you'll adjust that. You start at 10 and using wrist action bring the rod sharply up, then pulling the rod back more or less straight to stop and allow the wrist to flex back for the rod to arrive more or less at the 2 position. You wait for the loop to almost complete its backwards travel and reverse your hand action to forward. The hand opposite the one holding the rod is pulling down on the line at the beginning of both the backwards and forward action. As you complete the cast the hand holding the line releses it.

I hope the above helps but cannot stress more that getting someone to show is much more helpful.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

wvmountee

First, take a deep breath and relax you're gonna do just fine. I started fly fishing in January and after a frustrating start, I slowed down, quit worrying about catching fish and started concentrating on the basics. There is a wealth of information located in this forum if you will you use the "search" option.

To begin, stay away from the water and find a quite area that is mowed and concentrate on learning to cast. Don't worry about what type of fly line is on the reel at this time, tie on a 6' piece of apx 20lb mono to the end of the fly line and attach a small piece of ribbon to the end just to help you see it. I think it is more important to cast slow and learn to feel the line load the rod, who cares if on the back cast you wait so long as to let the line fall to the ground. Turn your head and watch the line go back. It doesn't take that long to get a feel for the casting, two weeks and you should have it. You still won't be perfect (winds knots take time...lol)

The point I am trying to make is the last thing you should be worrying about is catching fish until the basics have been learned. There are a LOT of very experienced fly men/women on this site who will come to your aid as your questions become relevant.

One last thing, we enjoy stories from members of all experience levels and will be waiting for stories on your progress.

Have Fun

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Mountee,

Nice Hook up from you colleague!

At any rate, you could always use Cabelas website and spend some time comparing the flies that you have against what they have on their website.

I am going to venture a guess that you have quite a few dries, and what I'd do (since you are just starting out) is try to identify the 'attractor' patterns. These are flies that aren't necessarily a 'specific' imitation, but rather are similar enough to represent a number of insects. Named, these could be 'stimulators', 'elk hair caddis' is a pretty 'generic' pattern, 'renegade' is another 'attractor', and any of the gnats-- 'griffin's gnat', etc. The hatch matching patterns will surely catch fish, but you might frustrate yourself trying the more specific patterns at the wrong time/ in the wrong place.

All of the 'streamers' should be fairly evident-- 'wooly bugger'- you probably have a handful of these. you might have some bucktail streamers in the mix, 'mickey finn', 'black nosed dace', and things like the 'clouser minnow'/ 'deceiver' are good examples. Then you will get into rabbit strip streamers-- 'slumpbuster', 'muddy buddy', 'zonker' are all good rabbit strip streamers. Then there are leaches-- the 'wooly bugger' is a decent leach representation, any of the 'intruder' flies could be a leach representation.

then you will possibly have nymphs/ and soft hackles. 'GRHE' (gold ribbed hare's ear), 'pheasant tail nymph', and 'copper john' styles are the most common nymphs. As for soft hackles, I don't fish them often-- hopefully someone can chime in with more info than I can provide regarding soft hackles.

If all else fails, just google image search some of the terms that I have 'parenthesized' above. this will give you a general idea of the flies that you have. Once you know what you have, you can start hunting specific info on how/ when to fish them.

I will tell you that the streamers are always 'in season' as are nymphs.... Fish will be more particular about the dries that they will take- especially during a hatch. If there is a hatch and you don't have a good representation of the bug that is hatching, you may as well hang it up and have a beer.

Long winded, but I hope it helps.

Tony

Last edited by raindogt; 08-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 AM

simmonds is on a distinguished road

Congratulations and welcome! You have one heck of a generous friend. Do you know what model Orvis he gave you and the line weight? Like mentioned above. Take some time to go out to a park with trimmed grass and practice basic casting there. Dont worry about long cast for a while. Concentrate on about 20-40 feet. Try to feel the line loading and keep that elbow tight against your body. Place a hula hoop or similar 40 feet out and practice placing the ribbon or yarn tied to the end of your leader in that hoop. This will be great for gaining accuracy. Good luck and once again...welcome.

Chris
Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: newbie to flyfishing...have gear, flies, eager, but clueless

Hi Mountee,

Welcome to flyfishing. You've received plenty of wonderful advice and I'd like to throw in my $.02.

Flyfishing is simply another way to catch fish. Continue to apply the knowledge that you currently possess: understanding fish behavior, structure, and your past experiences.

Practice your casting. To me, accuracy is more important than distance. Many fish are caught within 30 ft of the caster.

I've had some lessons given by Orvis employees. Visit an Orvis store and they welcome new flyfishers with casting lessons.

Stick to the basics...don't get caught up in all the hype that the magazines are thumping.

Have fun my friend.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Welcome! I'm jealous of the hook-up you got. I'm right there with you as a newbie though, and this is a great site to learn a whole lot of things! There are a bunch of guys on a here with a whole lot of experience, so be prepared to soak up a lot of information.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

on boardTry to find an old hand who can come with you on the water in your area ...go fishing as often as you can....
Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

post some pics of your flies on here, i bet within 2 mins they'll all be named

Addicted To Vise