The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

I worked for Orvis for a few years, they do have off season sales, but not so much on Fly Rods, specially the Clearwater, as it has been in the line up for quite a while as their lower priced offering,
They run the sales often on the upper end rods, specially when introducing a new line up. Example, I bought a T3 brand new and one of the first out of the gate, retailing at over $600.
Later they came out with the Zero and in turn, put less expensive hardware on the T3 and dropped the price almost in half.
So, off season is a good time to get last years top of the line.

Then they do make some Christmas deals and other deals like buy a reel and get a spool or line for free.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 PM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
There's an off-season?
The only off season I've seen is the month after Christmas.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Where do you live? Is there an Orvis dealer near you? The sales usually happen in March and sometimes the price cuts can run deep, up to 40% off depending on the dealership. I have many a rod and reel that were purchased in March.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobar View Post
I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." That turned me off seeing as I have talked to people who have (like mentioned above) simply stepped on their rod snapping it in two or another friend who accidentally closed his truck door on his rod breaking it and Orvis replaced them both even knowing that it was completely user error that caused the breakage.

Sage will repair such accidents free of charge.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." =)
What this language means is they are limiting their damage to the repair/replacement of the rod. An example of what is not covered would be if your Sage rod broke on the first day of a week long trip and you had no backup. They would not reimburse the cost of your fishing trip.

Rich
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 AM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Well that is good to know about Sage. I must have misinterpreted their warranty. So are they a no questions ask warranty... meaning they'll fix or replace the rod even if I step on it and break it? I'm a klutz and want that insurance / peace of mind.

If so... then maybe I should start inquiring about some Sage packages vs Orvis packages.

It looks like Sage's fee to repair is $50 where Orvis' fee to repair is $30. What else can you guys tell me regarding Sage vs Orvis? Quality? Customer Service? Value?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

You probably can't go wrong with either one. The important thing is to cast each and decide which you like casting the best. I can't imagine buying a rod I hate to cast just because it has warranty x, y, or z.
Gary
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that a trip was mentioned. I do have a rod in to Orvis for a repair, that I admit, I did.
I got a card in the mail saying they no longer stock this rod..(The Zero and I loved that rod), so.... they are replacing it with the same weight, length and flex but a Helios. Okay, that is way cool, about $100. difference.
But, due to the popularity of this particular rod, I will not receive it till October. There are non in any of their stores to be had.
Now the cool part. I called the number on the card to ask why so long. They explained and put me on hold while they looked for to see who might have one. When he came back to the phone I just mentioned that I have my week long trip on the Continental Divide coming up for the last of Sept. and it really would have been nice to take the new kid.
He then offered to put me to one of the shops that would send me a loner if I wanted. Cost of shipping of course, but I am betting just return shipping. I am covered, but I thought that was way above and beyond on all accounts. Orvis still rocks in my book.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Well I've never been ice fishing so there would be for me. =)
Trout streams don't freeze
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Trout streams don't freeze
Then you've never been, say, to New Brunswick. Or a wide variety of other places.
Gary