The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

Some portions will, and you need to check your guides and keep an eye out for floating ice.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Funny that a trip was mentioned. I do have a rod in to Orvis for a repair, that I admit, I did.
I got a card in the mail saying they no longer stock this rod..(The Zero and I loved that rod), so.... they are replacing it with the same weight, length and flex but a Helios. Okay, that is way cool, about $100. difference.
But, due to the popularity of this particular rod, I will not receive it till October. There are non in any of their stores to be had.
Now the cool part. I called the number on the card to ask why so long. They explained and put me on hold while they looked for to see who might have one. When he came back to the phone I just mentioned that I have my week long trip on the Continental Divide coming up for the last of Sept. and it really would have been nice to take the new kid.
He then offered to put me to one of the shops that would send me a loner if I wanted. Cost of shipping of course, but I am betting just return shipping. I am covered, but I thought that was way above and beyond on all accounts. Orvis still rocks in my book.
Now that is some great customer service right there!

I went by my local Orvis shop a few weeks back and played with the Hydros which is a great looking and feeling rod... but a bit out of my range. I'm looking to spend around $500 for my first package (Rod, Reel, backing, line and case). The Clearwater II outfit is well below that at $365. If their Access outfit would drop at least $25 then it could be had at $500.

Curious about total weight and distribution. This may be a question better posed as a new topic but I'll ask it here first since we've got the conversation going.

The Orvis Access Package ($525) has the Orvis Access Rod at (2.66 oz) and the Access III reel at (4.62 oz) for a total rod & reel weight of 7.28 oz.

The Clearwater II Package ($365) has the Orvis Clearwater II Rod at (3.25 oz) and the Battenkill Bar Stock III reel at (3.9 oz) for a total rod & reel weight of 7.15 oz.

So total rod & reel weight are within about 1/10 of an ounce so very close. I'm just curious about the distribution of weight. On the Access package you've got a super light rod with a heavier reel... where with the clearwater package you've got a heavier rod with a lighter reel. How do you think that would affect balance and feel? I'm sure I'd just have to go to the Orvis dealer and have 'em hook up both setups so I could feel for myself but I was just curious.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The October 1 date is the start of the retail season for most brands, but others may start on November 1 or January 1. Discontinued items can be officially advertised as discounted on those dates per agreement with retailers and manufacturers. Some shops are discounting products that are going to be discontinued now, but they are not advertising them. All one needs to do is ask.

I cannot comment on when Orvis' retail season starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobar View Post
It looks like Sage's fee to repair is $50 where Orvis' fee to repair is $30.
Not including shipping time, Sage usually turns repaired (not replaced - TFO and Redington have that down) rods quicker than any rod company. Also Sage will have the ability to repair long discontinued rods, whereas, other rod companies will make the decision to replace them.

Quote:
Quality?
Both are good, but I would rather fish other reels before I would choose a modern Orvis. There are other reels that I would choose before a Sage.

Quote:
Customer Service?
Both companies are very responsive.

Quote:
Value?
The value on the good will depend on how long it lasts yourself. If you buy an outfit that you wish to fish for several years, and you outgrow it rather quickly, now you will need to spend money to replace it.

Going back to your original post, I would invest in quality gear now that way you could be practicing and fishing. The way that I look at it is that you are best off practicing with the gear that you will be using. That way you don't learn the nuances of one rod just to learn the nuances of your new personal rod.

Dennis
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot comment on either of the Access, but I am sure they are both well balanced.
What I see is the Clearwater (although use to be USA made) and the BBS have been around for a very long time.
The Access a little over a year maybe, and same with the reel. They seem to be changing the reels a lot with first the Battenkill Mid to the Matrix Mid and now the Access mid.

That too is something to consider. The BBS is a traditional meaning more backing, or the Access is a MID arbor. Both about the same diameter, so I don't think the mid is that big of an advantage other than less backing and wider. They are heavier, but I don't think you would notice.

Tough call, my friend.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Now that is some great customer service right there!

I went by my local Orvis shop a few weeks back and played with the Hydros which is a great looking and feeling rod... but a bit out of my range. I'm looking to spend around $500 for my first package (Rod, Reel, backing, line and case). The Clearwater II outfit is well below that at $365. If their Access outfit would drop at least $25 then it could be had at $500.
I just got an e-mail from Orvis, Buy a Hydros and get a $150 gift certificate which should buy you a reel.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM

I got that too, that would be awesome set-up.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
I just got an e-mail from Orvis, Buy a Hydros and get a $150 gift certificate which should buy you a reel.
They've been running that promo for about 3+ weeks now. It IS a good deal... but that is gonna put me quite a bit over budget by the time I add line, backing and tube. I just can't fudge on that $500 budget right now. Let's say I got the Hydros rod and a reel for $495 (the price of just the rod). I've still gotta get a line, backing and I would really prefer to have a tube/case to hold it all in. I guess it all comes down to could I squeeze in a reel, line, backing and tube all for $155? I think that might be pushing it.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
It looks like Sage's fee to repair is $50 where Orvis' fee to repair is $30. What else can you guys tell me regarding Sage vs Orvis? Quality? Customer Service? Value?
I have 6 Orvis rods and over the years have owned many of the reels they offer. Any product that I ever had a problem with has been handled quickly and with the most nominal of fees. I will buy from them without pause.

Several years ago I bought a Sage VT2 9' 7 weight, when I mailed the card in I included a letter in which I ask some questions of the company. I have (to this day) never had a reply. I sold the rod for 200 dollars and won't bother trying to correspond with them in the future.

Note: This was a one time personal experience and my recollection is not meant to start a debate about the company.

Conversely: I have dealt with Orvis representatives many times since 1979; from the various rod shops to reel repair and have nothing but good to report.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Then you've never been, say, to New Brunswick. Or a wide variety of other places.
Gary
If they froze solid, they wouldn't be trout streams, now would they? I caught some nice browns this past January in Minnesota.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

oh good grief, you might want to do a little homework about cold climate river ecology before you post again, diamond rush. Nobody said anything about freezing solid, but the entire surface can certainly freeze to the point that you can snowmobile across it. Happens all the time, even here in southern Vermont. Freezing solid? What's up with coming up with that conclusion?

Real happy that you caught browns at anytime of year, anywhere. Have a nice winter.

Gary

I apologize to the author of this thread, since none of this has anything to do with your original question. I'm outa this one.