The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
oh good grief, you might want to do a little homework about cold climate river ecology before you post again, diamond rush.
If its not frozen solid, go up to the riffles where the water is open. That's where the trout will likely be anyway. It gets much colder here in MN than it does over there in VT, and yet there is open water all year around.

Please don't assume I'm ignorant simply because I'm disagreeing with you.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

lets get this thread back on course

ARFE
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
lets get this thread back on course
You're right. My apologies. I too will vacate this thread in interest of interesting discourse rather than personal argument.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

just got this email this morning-

Fly Fishing Sale | Clearance Fly Fishing Gear | Discount Fly Fishing Rods | Fly Fishing Equipment for Sale|Sale Outlet|Fly Fishing -- Orvis

ARFE
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! Under the reel category, heck of a deal on them Korkers.....HALF OFF. And that bamboo FLEA $901.00 off.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

One sale you need to look for is the free line with (insert model here) reel purchase. I bought an Access II reel and got WF5 line and backer free. That's $70 in line alone. The salesman was shocked when I mentioned it and looked it up. No issues once he saw it on their site.

I was told there is a free reel with rod purchase, but I believe thats with their higher end rods.

And if you take any of the Orvis free FF classes, you get a booklet with discount coupons.

Look for Orvis Factory Outlets too. The one near Lewes DE has quite a few great deals on refurbed rods.
FYI: Not all Orvis Outlets carry fishing gear. Some are clothing only.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

You bring up a good point in the factory stores. The one near me in Kittery Maine has quite a few rods coming through...so I have been told. I popped in and they told me they get all the rods from Helios to the lower end rods. (When I was there they had a bunch of Superfines for about a $100). The catch is they don't have a warranty but they are often steeply discounted. Very steeply. The sales guy told me most of them come from the factory store as practice rods for casters and then some as returns from unhappy original purchasers. I'm quite partial to a lifetime warranty of Sage but would love to grab a Helios in any weight if it was cheap enough.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
I from time to time have seen Orvis Sales with as Ard has said good discounts.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Trout streams don't freeze
I'm not in the US,only in the last week or so there was a post showing a frozen River,Creek or Stream.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobar View Post
Well that is good to know about Sage. I must have misinterpreted their warranty. So are they a no questions ask warranty... meaning they'll fix or replace the rod even if I step on it and break it? I'm a klutz and want that insurance / peace of mind.

If so... then maybe I should start inquiring about some Sage packages vs Orvis packages.

It looks like Sage's fee to repair is $50 where Orvis' fee to repair is $30. What else can you guys tell me regarding Sage vs Orvis? Quality? Customer Service? Value?
You should read the recent article by Zachary Matthews in "American Angler.". It puts the whole warranty return for at-fault breakage in a different light.

Personally, I expect a company to stand behind their work, not my clumsiness. That said, Orvis acknowledges that their warranty is basically an insurance policy, so car doors incidents are fair game.

Last edited by ddombos2; 09-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
You should read the recent article by Zachary Matthews in "American Angler.". It puts the whole warranty return for at-fault breakage in a different light.

Personally, I expect a company to stand behind their work, not my clumsiness. That said, Orvis acknowledges that their warranty is basically an insurance policy, so car doors incidents are fair game.
For some one who is clumsy like myself... that insurance policy is peace of mind. Like with all insurance... you never hope you have to use it but it is sure nice to know it is there incase you ever need it.