The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM

brobar is on a distinguished road
Default Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

I've saved up enough for the package I want to get (I think I'm going to go with their Clearwater II combo which includes the Clearwater II rod, a Battenkill Bar Stock III reel, backing, line and case). I've got my first flyfishing lesson here in a few weeks and am waiting to get my gear until after the lesson (since they provide everything you need at the lesson). I was just wondering if a little later in the year if Orvis usually has decent off-season sales on rods and reels. If so... are the savings worth holding off a little while to take advantage of them (I only see myself getting out there just a couple of times this season) or should I go ahead and get the gear after my class so I can start practicing right away?

Thanks,

-brobar
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

If you shop around on the internet, you can usually find a good deal on those outfits.
I was looking at getting one a few months ago and searched on ebay. One seller had them new for about $280 depending on size and wt of rod.
Definitely shop around. If thats the rod you want, you can get it cheaper than in a orvis store.
Alternatively, you can check the orvis outlets if there are any near you that stock fishing gear....the link an be found on the orivs store website.

BUT, there are tons of other outfits out there that are as good if not better than the clearwater. Check Yellowstone angler for gear reviews on recent rods/outfits.
Sometimes buying the components separately you can get a better deal.
I'm sure others will chip in more info than i've provided, but dont jump straight into the Orvis outfit until you see what else is available.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I have a Battenkill Barstock III and a II and they work great. A google search showed the Bass Pro shop as having a good price. You can get as good quality for a lessor price, but the resale on Orvis stuff might be better. If you can spare the cash go for it. My first reel was by Okuma and it worked great!

Sometimes Orvis sends out a $25 off coupon (with a purchase of $50 or more) that is quite a deal - I've used it to by flies and accessories only.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM

If I can find some other outfits out there where the manufacturer will guarantee the rods for 25 year (no questions asked) then I'll definitely entertain them. I'm more than sure I could get in to this thing a lot cheaper than starting with Orvis but I've also learned with many things in the past that sometimes you get what you pay for. Since I'm just starting out... I could see myself doing something stupid and breaking a rod or two or three. With a 25-year no questions asked guarantee I wouldn't feel as bad if I ended up doing something stupid and damaged my rod.

Unfortunately I don't think Orvis will give the 25-year guarantee to EBAY auctions unless the entity auctioning the item is an authorized Orvis dealer. But if I can find an authorized Orvis dealer that has a decent sale on their gear then that wouldn't be too bad.

I'm sure there are more affordable and even better equipment out there. But having talked to many people who have had to take advantage of Orvis' 25-year guarantee and their customer service... I'm willing to pay a little bit more for peace of mind.

Can you guys recommend some other dealers out there that have comparable warranties and customer service? I'll definitely look at them too!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Orvis made good with me on the guarantee - I snapped my 3w trout bum by falling on it in the river. I brought it to the Orvis store and they shipped it out and gave me a (nice) loaner for my next trip. There was a small charge.
Other rod companies have similar guarantees however.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think Orvis will give the 25-year guarantee to EBAY auctions unless the entity auctioning the item is an authorized Orvis dealer
I looked up the seller from ebay and found they were an authorized seller. I wasnt going to buy it through ebay, that was just an avenue to find a deal.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." That turned me off seeing as I have talked to people who have (like mentioned above) simply stepped on their rod snapping it in two or another friend who accidentally closed his truck door on his rod breaking it and Orvis replaced them both even knowing that it was completely user error that caused the breakage. THAT is the kind of peace of mind I'm looking for. So if you guys know other manufacturers who offer the same type of CS and warranty then let me know... I'm not stuck on Orvis... they are just the first ones I've come across where the warranty and customer service definitely warrants the price.

But I've only been researching for the past 2 or 3 weeks so I figured you fine men & women would be able to offer some sound advice. =)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

You will not go wrong buying an Orvis outfit. I've had Orvis rods for more than 35 years. Have broken a few, always replaced no questions asked. Its a solid company with a solid product. I think you have a sound buying strategy in place to get started in fly fishing.
Gary
Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

There's an off-season?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
There's an off-season?
Well I've never been ice fishing so there would be for me. =)