The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Streamer Fishing Question

I have fished streamers and always the downstream and strip back or the across 45 degree angle and strip or swing and caught fish but does any one dead drift streamers or fish them under an indicator in streamsor rivers. Another thought out of the far reaches of my mind that i have never done and maybe some of you have is has anyone fished two at a time sorta like the
hopper/dropper or the multiple nymph rigs. Just wondering..
Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streamer Fishing Question

A friend of mine sometimes uses two steamers of different colors at the same time in reservoirs.You can cast streamers upstream...the drift is not dead strip the line the same speed of the water just "animate" your streamer with your rod tip...never use indicators...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I will dead drift streamers in some areas that I fish. It can be another useful tool in your arsenal. Often I will cast 90 degrees across and dead drift to 45 then begin my strip, it's fun to do because your attention is so focused on the slightest line movement. When casting straight upstream I usually drift and strip the fly back to me and the strikes seem about equal.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Used to be, "streamer" meant hair wing, like a Mickey Finn or Black Nose Dace, or a feather wing like a Gray Ghost. But now, with many more materials available, our tying has really expanded those flies that we call a streamer. Certainly, a Clouser Minnow will fish differently than a Gray Ghost, so it's often important to pick the right type of streamer to fit the water conditions.

I've fished many types of streamers, but frankly have come to prefer those weighted with barbell or bead chain eyes if there's any appreciable current, and the majority of the time I cast them upstream, let them swing & then fish them back from downstream. I feel I have better control of this type of streamer, because the weight allows me to keep in contact with the fly better, and they ride hook up, so much less snagging on the bottom. When not fly fishing, I like fishing jigs, so with this type of fly, the similarities makes it just easier for me to use too!

In water with slight current, or a lot of slack water, I'll use any type of streamer, and will cast them any place that looks like it may hold a fish.

I've never used an indicator with a streamer, and rarely with other flies. I have tried them, but again prefer to not use them.

I've never tried to fish two streamers. I tried many years ago, fishing with multiple flies, nymphs & wet flies, and it's not my thing. I spent more time untangling them than fishing, so have stuck with fishing single flies. I know there are some folks who fish multiple flies, so it can be done. The only multiple fly rig I've had any success with has been a popper & dropper, tied together inline, and have used a streamer for this purpose.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish two streamers alota the time in the salt . A one big chasing a little one. Dead drift them too.

A great way to fish a streamer in a river is to cast 3/4 up-stream to a target such as a undercut bank or a seam in the current, then make a hard mend downstream so that the streamer travels parallel to the target at a high speed. Then strip like mad.

Quote:
Used to be, "streamer" meant hair wing, like a Mickey Finn or Black Nose Dace, or a feather wing like a Gray Ghost.
Actually the Mickey Finn and black nose dace are "bucktails"
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

That's some great information i will have to try i have never tried to fish upstream with one but now it looks as if i'm going to try it and i was thinking about two a one time cause i use alot of multiple rigged flies some times as many as four nymphs ..
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Actually the Mickey Finn and black nose dace are "bucktails"
Yes, as originally tied, with bucktail, they were referred to as "bucktails", but they're still a form of streamer. My point was that there are now many more forms of "Streamer", primarily due to the introduction of new materials. If you tie a Mickey Finn pattern with Arctic Fox tail, it would still be a streamer, but could not hardly be called a bucktail!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
If you tie a Mickey Finn pattern with Arctic Fox tail, it would still be a streamer, but could not hardly be called a bucktail!
That's right, then you would have a streamer tied in the Mickey Finn style.

Bucktails are uniquely American and I believe that they're the only style fly that have that distinction.
Unlike flies with feather wings, the use of deerhair was unknown in the UK as all deer belonged to the crown. Resourceful Americans discovered the fish catching properties of a bucktail fly and IMO that shouldn't be forgotten or discounted.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM

[QUOTE][ Resourceful Americans discovered the fish catching properties of a bucktail fly and IMO that shouldn't be forgotten or discounted./QUOTE]

Certainly no argument from me, I agree with you! I still use a lot of bucktail when I tie, and will continue to do so, even with so many other materials available!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A Micky Finn is a Micky Finn no matter what you use to make it. I believe it is more appropriate to call flies having winging made from hair regardless of what 'hair' it is, 'hair wings'. This way there is no need to worry over what hair you would use to create the red & yellow fly, you can call it a hair wing

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;