The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lurking Members.....................

Ard and Brian

Thanks for the encouragement. I've learned a LOT from reading in this forum (and the fiberglassflyrodders). The first year was fun, albeit frustrating. Last summer I felt that I got to the point I could focus on what I was doing when casting (and I started tying). This year I'm looking forward to focussing on what works for me, and under what conditions.

What I like about fly fishing is the challenge it presents on so many different levels. I do enjoy catching, but figuring how to catch is almost as much of a thrill.

david
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

David.
I lurked around also for a while,as I'm a Flyfishing Addict.
You guys are lucky with all the River,Streams & Lakes you have in most of The US States,also with Canada next door.,
We had a 10 year drought over here & the Fishing was very poor as most of our Smaller Streams & some Rivers dried up so I went to Alaska in 2010.
Since just before Christmas this is the best year I've had for 15 or 20 years as up to date I've landed 10 Fish & lost/missed many more,both Rainbows & Browns over 3.5lbs plus heaps & heaps of Smaller Rainbows.
Also I've been involved in re-stocking the Rivers & Creeks & now the good thing is there are Fish being caught everywhere again.
Brian.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It's time to bump this thread and try to bring some people out of the shadows.

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road

Hey Ard,

I am trying to keep regular here. I think if people download the Tapatalk app for their smart phones it will help a lot. I love having instant access to the forum, and it makes it ridiculously easy to post pictures. Unfortunately for me I still have not landed a fish on my fly gear. I've got plenty of trout pics from early this year on my spinning gear if anyone is interested! Yikes! Did i really just ask that?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road

I'll come out of the shadows . I'll admit I do A LOT of lurking but for the most part I'm just trying to learn as much as possible and without a high knowledge of the sport I'm not sure I'd post anything relevant or have much to offer the group, though I may be wrong in that assumption. I'm in grad school and last spring was my first real season using my fly rod. Though I bought a second one this winter . School and work have not afforded me the time I'd like to spend on the local streams. At the moment everything for me is trial by fire, I don't have anyone to fish with here at school so lurking the forum is the only resource I have, with the exception of the LFS. I'm hoping to get out a lot more this season.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

You're in good fishing country there. Posting is the best way to have your personal questions addressed. Why wait for another thread to touch on something that is nagging your thoughts. All questions are answered and always respectfully no matter how new to all this the asker may be.

Ard
fysh and shotgunfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexd View Post
I'll come out of the shadows . I'll admit I do A LOT of lurking but for the most part I'm just trying to learn as much as possible and without a high knowledge of the sport I'm not sure I'd post anything relevant or have much to offer the group, though I may be wrong in that assumption. I'm in grad school and last spring was my first real season using my fly rod. Though I bought a second one this winter . School and work have not afforded me the time I'd like to spend on the local streams. At the moment everything for me is trial by fire, I don't have anyone to fish with here at school so lurking the forum is the only resource I have, with the exception of the LFS. I'm hoping to get out a lot more this season.
The one thing everyone in this forum has in common is that we have all struggled with our gear at one point and have had more questions than answers.

What actually drives successful forums is someone asking a question and then getting multiple answers and opinions. No one knows everything and there is always more of tips, tricks, techniques and new approaches to a problem to pick up. It's the opprotunity for everyone to learn something new for the posting of one seemingly simple question.

Seemingly simple question do not always have simple answers.

Question: I'm going to be making several trips out to the Berkshires this year, an hour or so east of Albany. Interested in spending some time on the Housatonic in the Lee / Lenox area? (I'm no expert, but it should be fun.)
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

JimW, I too would like to see more saltys getting involved. Ard, what do you think about adding a "saltwater tackle" category under "Tackle" in addition to the general subject saltwater thread area?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Lurking Members.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
The one thing everyone in this forum has in common is that we have all struggled with our gear at one point and have had more questions than answers.

What actually drives successful forums is someone asking a question and then getting multiple answers and opinions. No one knows everything and there is always more of tips, tricks, techniques and new approaches to a problem to pick up. It's the opprotunity for everyone to learn something new for the posting of one seemingly simple question.

Seemingly simple question do not always have simple answers.

Now there's the understatement for the day. Lots of questions, several responds. So why not just hit the 'search' button on the top right?

Because there's just too many to sort through for a simple question. Not to mention real life contact with 'real life people?'

"Ask and you shall receive."

A good thing me thinks.

fae
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'm sure I'm repeating myself and others by saying this but as a newer member (I think I'm going on just over a year) I was a bit intimidated. The sport itself and the knowledge here can amount to some DEEP waters.

That said, the MOST helpful/encouraging assist I was given by existing members was the quantity of responses to my initial "HELLO" to the group.

So I made an effort and will ramp it up more, to reply to those first introduction posts to newbies as well as an encouraging line about how helpful everyone is and FRIENDLY—cause WE ARE!

I left the Field&Stream forum 2 years ago...to many egos and just rude posting going on. I'm considering getting the mag again..but I will stay away from the forums.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

After reading this thread a bit, I had some thoughts about how technology might help us:

1. If as a posting member, I don't get replies or views I figure no one is interested or has the answers. Is there a way for folks to sort the threads by # of replies/view from lowest to highest. I'd seek out the lower # ones and get active on them. It will make posters feel welcome.

2. Is there a way to see threads/posts by least active members...we'd be able to get some activity on their threads.

3. Is there a way to filter posts to see those posted by NEW MEMBERS. That way we can focus on getting them answers too. I for one enjoy encouraging newbies to the sport, because I'm still very much one!

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com