The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Lurking Members.....................

jimw

I'd love to see more post on Saltwater myself. I'm mostly a freshwater guy but do some salt fishing at my parents place in Florida. I hope you post more about your saltwater experiences for us, maybe that will encourage others to do the same!! I'm sure many of the freshwater folks would be interested in hearing about saltwater fly fishing as well.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Same thing with a well known hunting forum I subscribe to. You can post something and go back a week later and find no replies but many views. Who can figure? Everyone on this forum has been great and no one should feel intimated to post. Throw in your two cents of experience or just ask a question. It's never a dumb question if it will make you a better fisherman or fisherwoman.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I think a lot of the lurking is due to simply using the site as a resource. I did for quite a while before I finally began adding my two cents. Now I find myself checking in multiple times a day (at work) to see what I can learn. I assume a lot of people use it as an encyclopedia opposed to actively engaging with members. That and I know a lot of people that like the idea of fly fishing, research religiously, buy setups, go once or twice and then give up. Could be a lot of ghost memberships in those numbers that never canceled their accounts.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I signed up to this forum and another forum (which shall remain nameless "Flytyingforum.com") oh, did I just post that . When I posted there with a comment I got a snide reply and felt belittled. When I posted here, everyone made me feel welcome. This is the only forum I actually visit multiple times a day just too see what is going on. While I am still a noobie I do post when I think I can contribute or need advice (and I also like the "one word" ). You guys and gals are awesome!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I was the same way as a few have mentioned, lurking just to learn but that didn't last long. Once I made a user name, I started asking newbie questions right away As far as more action on the saltwater thread, I wish I could contribute more, but I see saltwater as much lately as Davo does, and I'm originally FROM FL. Darn real world interrupting my fishing...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to lots of forums, but there are only a couple where I regularly participate. Some are of interest to me but beyond my knowledge to participate much (moonshining, wild mushrooms, and college basketball for examples), so I just lurk.
Others I just don't care enough about or have the time to bother with any longer. And a few I don't care for the attitude of the regulars and generally ignore
Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I belong to lots of forums, but there are only a couple where I regularly participate. Some are of interest to me but beyond my knowledge to participate much (moonshining, wild mushrooms, and college basketball for examples), so I just lurk.
Others I just don't care enough about or have the time to bother with any longer. And a few I don't care for the attitude of the regulars and generally ignore
I've been on a couple forums like that. The resident peanut gallery, generally led by a cooperative administrator, forms a good 'ole boy's club and belittle, shout down, or just plain drum out people they disagree with. It's a very ugly thing to see, and those boards generally wither on the vine and before long it's just the good 'ole boys left posting.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Well I've been lurking a bit myself lately. I though I'd be participating more beginning several days ago. However, I've found I'm lurking a bit more than normal and usually not for very long. Hopefully soon that will change and I'll be back to my normal participation level.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

My lurking and posting swings back and forth depending on my travel schedule. When I am traveling I get very little opportunity to see the forum, thus when I return home I have a lot of reading (e.g. lurking) to do to get caught up in the conversations. Many times it has been long enough since the last post on the thread that I do not comment, assuming that interest has slowed or died out on that particular subject.

For those who are lurking and are concerned about asking a "dumb" question - I hope you understand that we all have questions, but usually there is someone out there with an answer. For example, after more than 4 decades of flyfishing I decided to try spey casting, and while asking a lot of really novice (e.g "dumb") questions, there were several forum members who have provided a lot of information & advice, and have also sent PMs with even more information. Now I am still a spey novice, but I have enough information to be able to make well educated decisions regarding equipment, and the confidence that all the mistakes I will be making in the future will be my own fault, and not the fault of poor equipment choices!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:46 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

First, I want to express my sincere gratitude to all of these active forum members who have been instrumental in getting me started.

Second, to answer your question Ard, I have barely made it out of what I would consider a total novice and have fewer questions. I still consult the forum but do not feel I am competent enough most of the time to answer questions.

You could make the point that fishing reports can still be logged, and to this, well, I will admit that I am a bit lazy...