The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM

jackd001 is on a distinguished road
Default A newbies dumb question

Okay this question is no doubt going to make me sound like an absolute beginner but I am so bare with me. I am looking at buying a new fly reel and it asks me right or left hand retrieve. I hold my rod in my right hand so would that mean that my left hand is the one retrieving the line? I would imagine it is but I'm not certain.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: A newbies dumb question

There are no dumb questions..... On that note, you will find that the people that hang around here are all very helpful and knowledgeable. Fire away....

So, to answer your question-- yes, the reel would be left hand retrieve..... TYPICALLY..... I actually know of one guy who casts right hand, left hand is his line hand and his reels are right hand retrieve. I suppose if he puts a fish on the reel, he just switches the rod to his left hand and cranks with the right.

I'd say play around in an open plot of land and just see what feels best to you.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Rdog is correct, there are no dumb questions. If you are transitioning from being a spincast guy to flyfishing you will have a learning curve like most of us here on the board have had. If you are right handed then you may want to set up your reel to left hand retreive. I say this because you will want to cast your rod with your right hand and strip line with your left. When you do hook a fish you wil strip line to get it coming in towar you and when you feel you have played him about enough you can pinch the flyline against the rod with your right hand and then reel the slack flyline up with your left. Most right handed people fly fish this way but there is no hard fas rule...as Dog said what ever feels natural to you. Most right handed people have more strength and coordination in there right hand side.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Certainly there are no dumb questions, and almost as certainly, there are no right answers.

If you are, or are planning , to fish salt water for tropical/subtropical game fish, like tarpon, bones, dolphin, sailfish etc., you may want to cast right and retrieve right if you are right handed. For those species, nearly the entire battle will be fought on the reel, and those fish commonly change direction a lot, so it is imperative to keep the line on the reel while keeping tension on the fish.

Though people say they can reel faster with their non-dominant hand because of spin fishing experience, after a day or two cranking with their dominant hand, that will generally change. Most of the Keys fly guys I know all retrieve with the dominant hand.

However, do it whichever way you want to. There are few "correct" ways to do anything in fly fishing.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
I actually know of one guy who casts right hand, left hand is his line hand and his reels are right hand retrieve. I suppose if he puts a fish on the reel, he just switches the rod to his left hand and cranks with the right.
I do that. It's an instance of my Grandfather taught my Dad like that and he taught me the same way.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

jackd001 is on a distinguished road

Thanks you guys for helping me out. Its nice to have a forum as good as this to be able to go to for answers or just whenever I'm bored.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

As has been said experimant. It never hurts to be different than the norm, and most times it makes you better. Also, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Tight Lines-
Steelhead Junkie

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Everyone on this forum has started someplace. If it weren't for us asking questions, we wouldn't be nearly as successful. I personally started out with a 6' 5wt, a straight floating line, and one leader. I did reel with my right hand, but changed because I found it more comfortable on the left side. Whatever works best for you is what you should be doing. No matter what others do.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

I'm right handed. cast wit my right hand. But when it comes to retrieving the line, rod gets flipped to the left hand and I crank the reel with my right.

Just feels more comfortable.

BTW, in fly fishing there are no dumb questions. Its a past time filled with questions.