The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Kentucky Boy is on a distinguished road
Default knot problem with my leader

it seems like every time ive been fishin this year i'm always tying tippet on because of knots in my leader is it something i'm doing wrong or do i have a bad leader i'm using orvis mirage tapered leader?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: knot problem with my leader

If you are getting knots in your leader, you are not waiting long enough on your back cast for it to straighten out. Rushing it a little will form tailing loops, and knots. Try slowing your forward and backward strokes down a little and keep the line on a straight path (don't drop on the rear and the forward like a windshield wiper)
Once again, main thing....slow down.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

thanks Joni i'll try that!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kentucky Boy,

How is your fishing going? What reel did you end up with?

Besides what Joni said make sure you are not over powering your forward cast. It is easy to think if you really put a lot of power into your forward cast that you will cast further. Not so, it is all about timing. Don't try to punch your cast forward.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

i just listed about 20-25 reasons by lefty kregh, joan wulff, tom deck, sexylooops and etc, and lost it to a computer glich.......... it was pointless anyway.......... there are quite a few on the internet if you punch "tailing loops" into your search engine........ but you need a comprehensive fly casting book, and the best ive found is joan wulffs fly casting teckniques....... its complete and it works..

to get bites and bits wont fix the problem........ you need positive training teckniques and you will start to turn your casting around.. set a rod up for casting in the yard and practice several times a week for a half hour and read the book, and back out and practice.. youl be casting better in a month, and great in a year of you keep at it.. ..

taking lessons are great, but ive found getting help form different casters will really mess you up.. if you used the same teacher that would be best.. you can always go back to the book and get straitened out if you self teach.......... a good instructor will definitly be a plus if he can find your main faults and fix that and not get complicated.......

one great tool is 12-15 foot of yarn on a 3 foot pole.. chop off a junk rod and put heavy tape on the bottom for a handle and put the heavy yarn from the store on it and start casting.. if you can keep that yarn up, and lay it out, a fly line will be easy.. ..

a fly line is easist to cast at arround 30 feet, find that length that works best with that line and rod and mark it with perminant marker and cast from that point and things wiill improve greatly.. more line out than that the line collapses.. shorter is not a big problem if you practice.. after you get a good line motion going, shoot the line from this lenght to get maximum casts.. .. good luck dave...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also think a tailing loop is likely the culprit. If you follow all the advice on eliminating it but are still getting tailing loops, it probably has to do with "when" and "how" in the casting stroke the power is being applied. I used to have trouble with this. I was applying the power too early in the casting stroke. Try to make sure the power application in your casting stroke is ALWAYS GRADUALLY INCREASING, but then not stopping too hard at the end of the stroke.

Another trick is to make your backcast slightly oval. On your backcast, swing the rod tip slightly out to the side, and then make your forward cast more vertical and straight ahead. This will reduce the chances of the line getting tangled as it will be moving in more of an oval shape, instead of two different directions in a straight line. (this is very helpful when throwing multiple flies or a nymphing rig with split shot also.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent way of putting it Big Cliff.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies i'll definatley try all the tips suggested, also i think I'm definatley going to be buying a book i'll keep the one by joan wulff in mind. And Frank i ended up gettin the Battenkill mid arbor and i got that great deal! Thanks again for that Frank! also is that book a pretty easy read? The length of it doesnt matter its just sometimes i cant make heads or tails of fly fishing books.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 AM

John D is on a distinguished road

If you can watch yourself, with a camcorder or digital camera, it can be very helpful.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
If you can watch yourself, with a camcorder or digital camera, it can be very helpful.
Ain't that the truth. "Do I really bend my wrist that far?"