The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Why Isn't Flyfishing Growing in Popularity?

Why isn't flyfishing growing in popularity? There are plenty of places to swing a flyrod. No flyshop to purchase gear? The Internet is full of flygear, in all price levels. All kinds of fish can be caught on flies. Nobody to teach flycasting? There's the Internet, dvd's, and books.

NASCAR has expanded. Turkey hunting too. It seems that most people associate flyfishing with trout in stream and river fishing.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why Isn't Flyfishing Growing in Popularity?

Just wondering...how do you know it isn't growing??
Gary
Old 09-03-2011, 04:42 PM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Gary
Exactly.

The 2010 Fly Fishing Market Survey (released earlier this year) showed that 59.3 percent of anglers bought some type of fly fishing tackle in 2010 which was a 4.1 percent increase over 2009.

I'm sure the economy can have an effect on purchases of equipment and/or excursions but then again the economy wasn't much if any better in 2010 as it was in 2009 but it appears more people were buying fly-fishing equipment according to the survey so I also have to ask... how do you know it isn't growing?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Robert,

Observations made at any sort of a local level can lead one to believe that there are conditions that may not apply when taken in a broad or sweeping generalization. While certain areas may not be experiencing a growth in any number of markets there may well be other area markets that offset the sparse growth in those fore mentioned. If I were to make any sort of an un-researched or better put, guess, I would say that fishing might well have a very stable market. Whether we speak on growth as in new anglers, or market in terms of tackle sales I would expect that there is a steady increase in both interest and purchasing. Now remember that's a guess.......................

If we were to use the forum as a guide line then we could measure the number of new members who describe themselves as 'Newbies' against those who state they are quitting fishing altogether.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live fly fishing doubled when I taught my Canadian friend. I have another guy that wants to learn so it will have tripled when he learns. There will be a whole 3 of us.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Uh oh, Dan! what if those two start teaching people?? I see an exponential growth curve of fly fishers in your area! don't teach that third guy!!
Gary
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have another guy that wants to learn so it will have tripled when he learns. There will be a whole 3 of us.
You better be careful pretty soon you'll be elbow to elbow in the river.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Why Isn't Flyfishing Growing in Popularity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Gary
Gary,

Flyfishing isn't growing in my area...major retailers removed their flyfishing merchandise. I've fished the public lakes, swamps (yes, I flyfish in swamps), rivers, streams, and reseviors...I'm usually the only flyrodder.

My friend owns a popular bait and tackle shop, and I've asked him to carry flygear. He does, but the only thing moving are the poppers. There is a sporting goods store in the neighboring county that carries flygear...but most of it is dusty.

If flyfishing were growing, then why aren't the mainstream magazines writing more about it? Why aren't regional magazines covering it? You see tons of catfish and bass advertisements, but rarely anything flyfishing. When will flyfishing magazines devote more articles about promoting flyfishing?

Turkey hunting is far more popular in this region than flyfishing. There was very little turkey hunting here 15 yrs ago...nowadays there is plenty of turkey gear sold in many local stores with plenty of hunting pics that adorn the brag boards in the stores.

I have visited every tackle store in this county and neighboring counties and have seen very little in flyfishing merchandise. There is far more saltwater gear to choose from than flyfishing gear...and the ocean is 90 min away! Go figure!

I've flyfished at major reseviors here in NC with plenty of anglers...but I'm usually the one carrying flygear. I don't see anyone casting at the popular beaches either.

I'm sorry, but if flyfishing is growing in popularity, I fail to see any evidence over here. I once joined a flyfishing club 2 counties over, but it was dead.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Robert, North Carolina likely will never be a hotbed of fly fishing activity, even though the Fly Fishing Show does, or did, a Charlotte venue. I used to eat my lunch with one foot in Tennessee and the Other in NC, at 6,000 feet in Cherokee NF. I saw a lot of wild hogs, few of the ruffed grouse I was studying, and zero fly fisherman. But there are some incredible little streams up in NC mountains.

Bottom line: NC is hardly the canary in the coal mine as far as whether fly fishing is growing as a sport...that would be in my opinion, of course.

I suspect that if one went to the fly tackle dealer show - or whatever its called now - as was just held in New Orleans (I used to go to it when it was in Denver) - one could get a sense from the manufacturers about whether or not they were in line for pay raises or not.

Good topic, though,
Gary
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I don't know about growing in popularity here, it has always been extremely popular, but I sure can tell you there is no shortage of fly fisherman on the rivers or in the fly shops, mostly in the fly shops lately because of all the rain and flooding.