The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 01:36 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default pointless boating

The keys are filled with the sounds of angry mega-bees in the form of jet skiis. I can't think of a more worthless thing to spend money on, or one more annoying to all life forms.

How I hate these hollidays!

OK rant done.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pointless boating

I don't remember what rod company it was that had the poster, but there used to be a real good one on this very subject. It had a guy setting the hook on guy yanking him off a jet ski. The caption was "Fly Rods With Backbone" or something along that line. I wish I had one. That and the Hardy Girl poster.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm there with you, Jim. A day spent on jet skis blowing out the fishing and annoying everyone else around is a day that could instead be spent fishing, or just not jet skiing!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
The caption was "Fly Rods With Backbone" or something along that line. I wish I had one.
Those would sell faster than Conch shells down here. I'd like to have one too.

The attitudes of some of them makes me wonder how many wear their pants below their asses, and shashay across the road in front of traffic at a snail's pace.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I owned a Personal Water Craft back in the mid 90s. It was a lot of fun. Like a motorcycle on water. However, i made sure to mind the rules of the water and didnt harass fishermen.

There are a ton of rules regarding the operation of PWC. Sadly lots of owners fail to pay attention to them.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM

brobar is on a distinguished road

Jet skis are a blast! Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em! I can see how they may be an annoyance to anglers but that is why I went to recreational lakes for jet skiing and when I wanted to fish I would go to lakes that didn't allow recreational watercraft (several of the lakes I would fish up in the sierras wouldn't allow any type of motored watercraft on them).

Since I like fishing... and since I like jet skiing... I would target where I was going with that in mind! I'm not going to go to a recreational lake to fish and get PO'd at the people enjoying themselves on watercraft when I know I could go on over to a lake that doesn't allow watercraft and enjoy myself fishing there.

Let's share the water people! Either that or maybe plan your fishing holes with the type of water in mind.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Unfortunately it's a little harder to ignore them when fishing in saltwater, even when PWC are not supposed to be allowed in certain areas they make their way in. It's certainly more about people who DON'T obey the rules, and there are plenty boat operators who don't obey them either. The bothersome part is when people don't understand the rules and those who don't understand on-the-water courtesy. Unfortunately, jet skiers often fit in this slot.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

this is the same reason I dotn kayak on bigger water,, it seems a kayak or canoe is a magnet for power boaters to say hey let see if we can flip this lil boat just for fun... I mean come on... although I have gotten my kayak to surf a towboat wake on the ohio river a few years ago.. was way to much fun. on this subject, jetskies seem to have the same mentality of atv riders... ill leave it at that.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Some guys fish from jet ski's. Ckeck out his video.
Jet Ski Brian
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....We keep a boat in Barnegat Bay, NJ. Jet skis have been a nuisance for a long time, but so have many other powered craft. It's not unusual for a mega long Donzi to scream past us in the ICW at close to full speed. The problem with jet skis is around anchorages: they zip back and forth, passing very close to anchor lines. This usually ends around 6pm, just in time for the Jersey mosquito hatch to terrorize us. I've never seen a jet skier do any actual harm, but have seen a few render assistance to power boaters that have run out of fuel, and help right a few sailing dinghies. When we lived in Ocean City, my son's toy sailboat had sailed a couple hundred yards from shore, and I began waving at 3 guys on jet skis. They went to the spot I was frantically pointing at without asking what was going on (Jr was 6-yrs-old and crying), and were a bit surprised to find that they had to rescue a toy boat. They dutifully brought it back to shore, and Jr was happy again. I've never been on a jet ski, so I don't know what the thrill is...