The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 AM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough
Default What is the best small boat for fly-fishing?

What is the best small boat for fly-fishing? I’ve had a 2 man touring kayak in the past. I don’t like the inflatable boats… too many gators in East Texas!

I have thought about a canoe or an 8’ jon-boat that will fit in the back of my ford ranger. I will have 4 rods & reels with me. Standing up would be a bonus. The only problem is with the jon-boat; I have not seen a short one for a long time…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canoe.jpg (8.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the best small boat for fly-fishing?

I would look into a Hobie Float Cat 75 or a sit-on-top kayak in the 10-12' range.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

I don't think they can hold all my gear? The kayak I had was loaded to the hilt...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

you sure?

http://bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/albu..._Lft_Front.jpg
bocast likes this.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

With the gators and I would assume water moccasins, I would probably want something that would keep my feet completely out of reach and the possibility of a snake deciding I was a resting spot out of the question. I would personally think just a johnboat or Skiff would do the trick.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff

Ok, you have me there
I've seen, the same thing on sea-kayaks

I like fishing stick-ups... I am not going swimming unless I have too.
Also feet in the water looks like something good to eat by gators.

What is your thoughts on Pirogue/Pero boats? They may be the best of all worlds?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

you might wanna check out www.porta-bote.com

this one would be fun to build, but given my carpentry skills, I would want a top-quality lifejacket. http://www.gatorboats.com/Croc-Boat-Plans.htm

Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 PM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

I have a 10' Water Spider, not made any more, but it is very much like the Bass Buster boats that Bass Pro Shops sells. I have a deck on the front and deck on the back and have comfortably fished two fly fishers many times. It is powered by two trolling motors, one on the front and one on the rear. I have fished in every lake in East Texas in the past six years that I've had this boat and I have never had any concerns about it sinking. It is a wide boat and very stable. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums...Type=6&apage=1

LSU TIGERS!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough

This is my choice for a small boat of a canoe type.
It is called A Gheenee.
This canoe type boat will carry something like a 800lb pay load, can be fitted out with a outboard up to 25hp, l use a 6 for the small creeks and a 10 or a 15 for the lakes and larger rivers. You can of course use trolling motors also. It will easily accomodate 2 persons standing up fishing, is very stable indeed due to the width, unlike a regular canoe. I would say the boat weight is around 80lb, you can trailer it, or it goes on the back of my Dodge Ram no problem.
I use this for both fishing and hunting trips, and it can of course be taken more or less any place without too much trouble.
They are manufactured in Tittisville Fl, not sure of the cost now days, but you can find that out on the web site that they have. They produce a number of versions of this craft.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Davy

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM

donk is on a distinguished road

The lowly canoe carries 700# of gear; most weigh in under 60#, paddle backwards with a kayak paddle for level ride; high freeboard from gators; low stable draft; minor wind resistance and very comfortable sitting position.