The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Fred Bear Quote

Some of you may be familiar with a man named Fred Bear and you may or may not know that he was one of the first to mass produce traditional archery equiptment on a global scale. I'm currently reading a book by Dick Lattimer who worked for 23 years with Fred and became one of his closest friends and confidants. The title of the book is "I Remeber Papa Bear".

Now I know what your thinking, what does a traditional bowhunter and archer have to do with fly fishing. Well, Fred Bear was an advid outdoorsman and fly fisherman. Fred and Dick flyfished for brown trout together on both the Manistee and Au Sable rivers in the Grayling, MI area. I wish I can relate all his fly fishing tales to you but here is something I think was really funny to read about a man admitting to such a tale.

Fred Bear Quote:
"...when you get a muskrat to rise to the fly, you are a fisherman, wet or dry."

Anyway, I just thought I had to share this tidbit of history with you. There are several more interesting tales about Fly Fishing, Traditional Bowhunting, and the Bear Archery, Inc that can be found in this book. Anyone interested in it should pick it up.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fred Bear Quote

Fred Bear is one of my heros and I love reading about his adventures. Since we are kind of on the subject of archery, Howard Hill is another favorite.

"I Remember Papa Bear" is a good read.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Yeah, Fred Bear, Howard Hill, and Pope & Young were some of the true pioneers to the sport of traditional archery and bow hunting. Each of them have some great stories of there outdoor adventures.

I like Fred Bear for his ideal for the invention of the Caddisometer. Sounds like a sound ideal to me. He had an original sense of humor that may seem dry to others but I can relate to such ideals.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I have a Bear Kodiak that I cherish. I do use to hunt, too. I am an instintive shooter and use my fingers to shoot.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Trucha,
The Bear Kodiak is a great bow. I personally do not have a Bear bow but have had the pleasure of shot several different Bear bows. I currently have a bid on eBay for a Bear Alaskan double shelf bow from the late 1950's. I sure hope I can get it. I currently shoot Chek-mate Hunter II takedown or my Wing Red Wing Hunter.

Maybe I should talk with Steve and see if you can start up a new forum group to cover subjects such as hunting, camping, trapping, and anything else outdoorsy so that we can share these things in the winter months. Then again there are already forums out there that cover this subject. I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say about Fred Bear is that as a teenager and a member of Sherwood Archers, I lusted for one of his bows. Never could afford one and now with much damage and age, I could not even draw a 25 lb. bow.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Sorry to hear that, Cowboy. But, hopefully, you still get to go fly fishing? What did you shoot when you were with the Sherwood Archers?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fred Bear Quote

darkknight,

I shot a club bow, 65 lb, single recurve, backed with fiberglass.

Still fly fish, but only those streams, creeks, rivers that are easy to get to. Cannot scramble down steep banks anymore and stay away from really fast, deep water. Wade in water up to about hip deep, but that still gives me more water to fish than anyone can cover in a lifetime. Mostly stocked fish, but ocassionally will find some natives who are hungry and pity an handicapped lover of fly fishing.

Still think once in awhile about that Bear 75 lb, double recurve that I lust for.