The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Fly Gear and Conventional Gear

Who continues to use conventional gear? I do. When I fish with the girlfriend and her son, I'll dunk crickets with UL spin gear. I like to see the catfish rods bend deeply while sitting in their rod holders.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Gear and Conventional Gear

I also carry an ultra-light along with my fly gear inside my truck box. There is a very little brook I like to stop at that is just about impossible to fish with fly. I caught a nice 16" brown in there two weeks ago, he still lives there, I't was a lot of fun on that rod in the little brook.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regularly fish with conventional gear, but I have a seven foot spin rod that I take with me striper fishing or saltwater fishing.

When the river is high and the fish are beyond fly casting distance, I like to fish a tandem rig on my spin rod. I will fish a plug or popper and a fly together. The treble hooks are removed from the lure. The belly treble is replaced with a single hook that I pinch the barb down. The back treble is replaced with a three foot tippet that is connected to a fly (usually a Clouser Minnow).

My spin rod goes with me on some of my saltwater trips. I figure if I fly thousands of miles to a destination, I want to hook up with fish. Sometimes the fish won't look at a fly, so it is good to use the spin rod as insurance.

Dennis
Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fly rod only since I was 10
To me that *IS* conventional gear.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

95% fly for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I definitely still use a spinning set-up, but more than likely that's because my fly set-up hasn't arrived yet. When I have a choice, I choose fly, even when it seems the spin casters are catching more, and even though I'm a total novice. However, I'll probably keep going with a spinning reel for a tarpon until I square away a tarpon set-up.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about 75/25 fly, conventional. I still get the urge to liveline a fat bunker, or chase Fluke from the kayak. Largemouth lakes that aren't wader friendly will also see my baitcaster make an appearance.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I use what ever gear is called for the day whether it is fly, conventional tackle, archery, shotgun, rifle or Muzzy. Got to adapt. That being said I plan more fly fishing trips than most others.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Who really cares?
This is a fly fishing forum.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

About the time i got into fly fishing i had just upgraded all my fishing gear. New tackle boxes and tackle. I also have a standard spinning rod, ultra light rod and a baitcaster. Plus, i still have my old steelhead baitcasting rod from my time tossing eggs and sand shrimp.

Then i got into fly fishing obsessively and that stuff mainly sits in its cases. I try to fly fish in all circumstances if able.
Closed Thread