The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Anodizing?

As a person who is "cheap" and a "do it your selfer"i try to learn how to do things myself. most people want their reels to be anodized for scratch resistance or a certain color. its not all that hard to anodize a reel and to remove anodizing it only takes oven cleaner, then you can make it whatever color you want. im currious if changing the color of an anodized reel or anodizing a reel that wasnt anodized when you bought it would void waranty.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Anodizing?

I imagine tampering with any product would void a warranty to an extent.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anodizing?

This is a great question. I was thinking of having a reel custom-anodized but had only briefly thought of doing it myself! However, as far as the warranty, I have no idea! I don't know if simply changing the product's finish would void the warranty, as more than likely the elements of the reel you want the warranty to cover would not be affected by a change in finish.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

That would be like stripping the paint off your car... and yes, it voids the warranty.
Just buy it in the color you want.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

changing the color of your car voids the warranty? i called a couple Ford dealers and found that statement to be untrue. I was told that it would be Fords discretion as to weather or not they would warranty the paint but as for the warranty in whole, that would not be affected.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

You had time to call Ford dealers over this post? With that much time you could be fishing!

Just kidding. You are mostly correct, it still voids part of the warranty. But this is a fishing reel we are discussing. You need to disassemble the reel completely, strip it, re-anodize it, and reassemble it. I don't think the reel maker will see it like Ford. I could be wrong.

I remember stripping the anodize off my BMX bike rims with oven cleaner when I was a kid because I wanted silver, not red. So not worth the effort.

Again, just buy the color you want... or learn to like black.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I like things simple, just call the manufacture and ask them.

Frank
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I like things simple, just call the manufacture and ask them.

Frank
Answers like this is why we pay you the big bucks, Frank!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi it's well & good to be able to do things yourself,firstly I'll go along with Frank's way the simplest,one of my moto's is "if it aint busted don't fix it",anyway what's a few scratches as we all have them on some of our Reels,especially if they get used.
Also if the Makers say it's OK get it in writing for future reference & always remember a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on as we all know some companies transfer things from one to another & back again without making any decisions,even on petty matters.