The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road
Default Korkers

Getting ready to get some new boots and my local rivers are banning felt. Anyone have or tried Korkers? They seem like a good boot and get solid reviews but I had to know what the Forum thought.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Korkers

catpoop,
my wife has a pair of korkers predator wading boots that she absolutely loves. they are the fixed rubber kling-on sole model no studs, and she seems to get around pretty well. nice boots imo
plus the boa lacing system is soooo slick...

casey

ARFE
Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I have the Redside, a 99 dollar boot that has the interchangeable soles. It comes with felt and rubber but I spent the extra and got the studded soles and I'm happy I did. Overall the boot is solidly mediocre for the price, with the studs it has good grip and it's light in weight. Comfort wise the boots are very good but they lack in terms of support over rugged terrain. I wear a size 11 shoe and the sizing in these boots dictated I buy a 12.

Recently I purchased a pair of Simms Rivershed boots (179.00) and they are as comfortable with much better support- if these fit your budget I would go for these over the Korkers- even the funky Boa lace up versions...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have a pair of Korker's Guides w/ interchangeable soles and BOA lacing system. I use the sticky rubber soles in gravel streams and sticky rubber w/ studs in streams w/ clay/silt streambeds. They work really well and are very comfortable. Also love the BOA laces.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I have Simms wading sandals with Vibram. They are great in really cold water where no algae or slime are on the rocks. They are really great for cruising around town, or hiking trails too. When the bottom of the river is slippery with muck I can hardly stand in them - I would like to get a pair with studs for such places.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I also have Simms Rivershed boots but I have seen a number of good reviews that people like them! I was considering them when I finally purchased the Simms.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I take public transportation to the streams, so I love my Korkers. And most models are cut wide.

Very comfortable hiking boot as well.

Randy
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

By the way thecatpoop, what state are you in? This banning of felt sounds like something they would do in my home state - or believe it, my home city San Francisco, where banning things is a politicians ticket to higher office.

Seriously though - anybody else have felt bans in their state, and if so which ones?

These are the Simms wading sandles I have, and they come in size 15 for you bigger folks:
Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
This banning of felt sounds like something they would do in my home state - or believe it, my home city San Francisco, where banning things is a politicians ticket to higher office.
What is ironic is that banning felt soles in California is being hardly discussed. I talked with a few DFG biologists who understand that there are waters with Didymo (Bear River, North Fork American) and New Zealand Mud Snails (Putah Creek). Besides trying to deal with a lack of a budget, the top priority is salmon restoration.

Dennis
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Several rivers here in Western Maryland have didymo and felt waders have been banned here. It was effective January 1st but they are only giving warnings this year and full effect will be 2012 but most people have the rubber bottoms already.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)