The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Do you still have the first fly fishing outfit you ever bought?

Just going through all my fishing tackle yesterday and couldn't help but notice the first fly rod and reel I ever bought-Sears and Roebuck own brand-may have had another brand name on originally, but has long worn away. Brings back lots of memories as I bought it in 1956 aged 12 with money I made from my daily newspaper round. The reel rusted out thirty years ago. Reason it didn't get stolen with evrything else in 1979-it was still back with my parents and brother in Washington-only brought it back last summer when I was over there for a long overdue visit. The fish I've caught on that and the species-large and smallmouth bass, sunfish, crappies, chubb, rainbow, brook, brown and cutthroat trout And my personal best cutthroat of 6 pounds four ounces from a tiny stream. I'm hoping soon to add carp and grayling to the list. Even had a big pike on it though I wasn't fishing for pike-the fish decided he wanted the tiny bluegill sunfish I had on a tiny balck gnat and wouldn't let go till it was too late! Problem is I have no son or daughter who fly fish so no one to pass it on to when I go to fish that river in the sky where the trout are always rising.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-16-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Do you still have the first fly fishing outfit you ever bought?

I still have most of it.
The rod was a POS Japanese bamboo out of a department store bin. It set my father back all of $3 in 1963. The reel was a Japanese made, H-I branded Medalist knock-off.
That rod, along with both my father's and my grandfather's were busted when my father closed them in the station wagon electric tailgate window one day when we were fishing
I still have most of the parts of all three rods.
I never throw anything away and my wife curses me about that regularly
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I do, it is hanging on my wall right above my computer. It is an old Zebco 8' fiberglass with a shakespeare Omni 44 reel. My kids bought it for me 20 years ago, and it all still functions. I doubt I will ever use it again, but it is there to reflect upon whenever I get melancholy.

d
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I never throw anything away and my wife curses me about that regularly
I have to admit to being the same way! My wife is as pleased about it as your's!

I still have the first fly reel I owned. A Cortland single action that was purchased for me by my father when I was about 12. That would have been in 1967. The rod was a fiberglass 8 wt, but it was broken long ago when I backed over it with my car a few years after I got married. The second fly rod I owned was a nice Orvis 5 wt that my wife bought for me as a Christmas gift. She also got a single action Orvis reel for it, but I don't even remember what model it was. Both were lost in a house fire back in 1986 along with the few spinning outfits I had & the rest of the tackle I owned. The only thing that was not destroyed was my fly tying supplies which were in my garage at the time. A medium size tackle box with some old bass lures in it was also in the garage. I still have most of them. That old Cortland reel was saved because it was also in the garage. The garage is separate from the house.

Since then I've acquired and accumulated enough tackle to open a small tackle shop! Plus, I've significantly improved my fly tying & lure making supply stash!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My first outfit was a Pflueger Medalist rod and Martin reel with a Cortland 333 line. I gave that outfit to a friend, so he could get started.

My first quality outfit was a Sage DS2 with a Okuma reel and a Cortland 333 line. I ended up selling that outfit.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

In the late 80s I got my start using my father's old Medalist from the 60s and a 8ft 6wt Eagle Claw Blue Diamond graphite rod- both items I still have and while the rod is pretty crappy the reel is very cool.

My first outfit that I purchased was a LL Bean 9ft 3wt Double L series rod and reel outfit. The rod is domestic IM6 graphite made for LL Bean by G Loomis, the reel was made by STH of Argentina. Over the years the reel was replaced but I love the action of the rod and still use it to this day- it's one of my favorites of my stable. I have altered the rod a bit over the past 20 years by having the factory slide band reel seat and grip removed and uplocking hardware and burl cork added in it's place. This year I celebrated my 20 years of use of the rod by replacing the Lamson LP 1.5 with a shiny new Abel .5 as I plan to continue to use this rod for years to come.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Still have mine...a full flex Daiwa glass rod from 1973 or so...matched with a Pflueger Sal Trout and level floater. Still fish it a couple of times/yr just because. With a modern line it's pretty cool throwing dries on still water.

...not fly gear, but I still have my 1st Mitchell 300 given to me for my 12th bday too. It's good as new 50 years later.

-Mike
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: Do you still have the first fly fishing outfit you ever bought?

I do. The rod was built by a friend (his 11th) in the late '90s, a 4W with medium action, that still comes with me on all trips. He charged me only for parts. The reel, an Okuma, I still have but haven't brought on a trip in years.

My father didn't dig fishing. His father was an avid fly fisherman but rather intolerant of children. I didn't inherit grandpa's old fly gear, or his grumpiness with children, but my love of catch and release started with catching fish, toads and tree frogs in our local creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I have to admit to being the same way! My wife is as pleased about it as your's!
My ex wife complained about my hoarding, she was a great gal however and we parted ways amicably. My current gal is a worse hoarder than I am and she likes fly fishing very much. I am wondering if the penchant we all have for fly fishing goes hand in hand with thrift store, yard sale, auction finds of "old timey" stuff?
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 09-10-2011, 11:47 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
My ex wife complained about my hoarding
Funny, but my daughter says I'm a hoarder, and should seek help!

I like to think my saving things is both practical & hereditary, as my father saved lots of things too!

Quote:
I am wondering if the penchant we all have for fly fishing goes hand in hand with thrift store, yard sale, auction finds of "old timey" stuff?
You may very well be on to something there!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I sold my first fly rod and reel, a Fenwick 8 ft., 7 wt. back in the 70's.