The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road
Default Light WT Rod?

I'm thinking of getting a light wt rod, for small pan fish to use on open water and on tight small creeks. What wt, length, and brand would you all recommend? Thanks Ben.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Light WT Rod?

Shoot us a pricepoint you want to be in. Is that price for the whole outfit or just for the rod?

-Forrest
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would say a medium fast 8 or 8 1/2 4 weight would suffice.
as far as a brand.......try the redington ct series.
only heard great things

casey

ARFE
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
Shoot us a pricepoint you want to be in. Is that price for the whole outfit or just for the rod?

-Forrest
I would say 200 or less rod only, I have a nice 3wt reel. I already have a 5wt and that is way to heavy. These are very small pearch and smallmouth.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Light WT Rod?

Hi Ozark,

Bass Pro Shops sells a line of UL flyrods...UL Classic series. They have the all cork reel seat with sliding reel bands...from 5' in 3wt to the 7' in 5wt. All are 3pc and come with a sock and rod tube. I have the 5'8" in 4wt. Mine weighs 1.5 oz...used a digital kitchen scale to weigh it. They run about $120.

Cabelas also sells UL flyrods...the TQR (tight quarters rod) series. Cork reel seats. They run about $120.

I'm thinking about a longer 4wt...the 6'9" model from BPS would be a great rod that won't wear you out! These rods are very light!

Cork reel seats and sliding reel bands make for a very light rod!

I put cork sealer on my UL to keep the cork in great shape.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

I use Shakespeare 7'-6", 4 wt rods. They're great for small stream fishing. For really small pan fish, a 3 wt of length you'd happy with, would be better in my opinion. Since cheap is my middle name, I can't help you with the high price rods your price range allows.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I really like the Cabela's Three Forks 7.5 ft 3 wt rod for small streams. It is very inexpensive, but it has really performed well for me. It casts easily and accurately for short distances. It also handles some larger fish quite well. It's short length makes it easy to maneuver in tight situations. It is a really fun rod to catch small fish on, and it is cheap enough that I am not in a total panic when I trip in the bushes along some small streams. And yes the small brushy streams do beat me up a bit! But ya gotta love um!

http://www.cabelas.com/...BSearch-All+Products
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have a Bass Pro Shops Hobbs Creek 3wt i use for small trout streams and rivers. It is also my rod of choice when i am in panfish water. It is certainly no Sage, but for the price it is a decent enough set up.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Do you think a 3wt would be light enough for really small bream/perch? There about as big as a index card. Don't know much about lighter rods, all I know is that my 5wt is a lot of over kill and just drags them in. I want a good fight.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkadver View Post
Do you think a 3wt would be light enough for really small bream/perch? There about as big as a index card. Don't know much about lighter rods, all I know is that my 5wt is a lot of over kill and just drags them in. I want a good fight.
I don't know what they are like on anything lighter than a 3wt, because that is the lightest I have. I catch 5-6 inch bluegills and they put more of a fight on than a 10-12 inch stocker trout. I love panfish. They are scrappers extraordinaire! I like the 3wt for them, but like I said I can't compare with a lighter rod. I am sure a 0-2wt would be even more fun.