The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Leaping Fish Get You SOOOO Excited???

LOL !!!!

I stopped by the section of Neshaminy Creek that is 5 minutes from my house this afternoon, and had a leaping smallmouth on in minutes. It rocketed straight out of the water, and there's no better way to start a session of fishing for me! I was fishing a Madame X, and several sunfish hammered the fly before another smallmouth took it, and did his aerobatics. I'm getting to the point where I'm not satisfied if a fish doesn't jump at least once. An underwater tug of war is one thing, but seeing the fish leap allows me to see what I'm up against early on. I like that!

On a side note: I've been working on not getting in the water until I'm sure I won't be stepping on fish. It's something that I began a few years ago, but have really focused on this year. If I arrive at a spot that looks good, chances are it is good, and there could be a fish right near the bank. Both of the smallmouth I caught today were caught while I was standing within 10 feet of where I entered the stream. My practice now is to begin branching out slowly after working the area I first enter, and moving pretty slowly. If I see heavy action somewhere else on the stream, I will move quickly to reach it, but otherwise it's slow and methodical.....
Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do Leaping Fish Get You SOOOO Excited???

I love aerials. Gets me pretty excited. I really like when fish takes line and makes the reel sing. I find that my heart races really hard
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: I have to agreee, I love fish that jump! That is one of the main reasons I used to love to fish for Silvers in Alaska, they would come up on top for several aerial displays during a battle and a lot of the time they would win, but none the less it made for some memorable fishing.

Larry
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frank,

Your strategy of not rushing into the stream and trying to cast to the other side is the best one to employ always. It is good that you brought that up and some of our new fishermen can learn a lot from that simple piece of advice you've given.

About those leaping fish................ All the rainbows here jump and run. Whether they are 10" or 25 they still take off.

As for anyone who does not take a good close assessment of the water before wading in, better start thinking like a fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I love a jumping fish, you get to see what you've got hooked and how big it is... but you can't believe the epicness of a jumping catfish... sweetest thing ever.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I was thinking please don't come off. I caught that 3 lb rainbow on my 3 wt and it jumped 5 times. I got the fish, took a picture, revived it, and let it go. That was exciting.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Man, I get excited when I see a fish jump across the lake, let alone when it's on the end of my line.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

As a youngster I fished a lot of rainbows in California. I learned real quick that tail walking Rainbows are pretty hard to beat for excitement. Then I discovered Steelhead and they were unbelievable in shallow water. The first time I hooked up with a Steelhead I just froze letting the fish break off and tail walking all the way down stream to the next pool. It was so exciting and so quick that I had to sit down and figure out what just happened.

Frank
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You bet they do. A few days ago driving along the Snake River I saw a bunch jump out of the water about five feet from the banks. It was all I could do to keep from squealing my brakes, and turning into a turnout. Flows were too heavy and water too muddy.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

How you doing on your road trip? I think it was you who was heading out covering a lot of different waters.

Frank