The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default postcard from my happy place-

Long couple weeks and one long hot summer. Fishing has been spotty at best, with the heat come frazzled nerves, and at times a winter-like case of the shack nasties. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pining for winter's return, just some slightly cooler weather were I won't take two steps onto my driveway and burst into flames.

Anyhow, the summer heat has taken a break and I had a chance to return to my local wild trout stream. It's small and the dry summer has brought the flow down even further. Over the past week I have fished this stream twice and naturally the day I had someone to take pictures is the day I did not catch fish of size. But that's OK by me, this place is my spot for meditation, allowing the well to fill up.

Gear wise- short 3wts and this time of the year the fly of choice was hoppers and elk hair caddis..

enjoy-

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 PM

cappy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: postcard from my happy place-

Beutiful Pics, thanks so much for sharing Fall for us is still a month away, so I'm kinda jealous.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

cpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to all

I am glad you took your "paparazzi" with you. The pictures are great. I love seeing the little baby fish too. They are so feisty and eager to grab whatever, no matter how big it is. Very nice stream.... I have fished on many that are that size and even smaller. It is hard fishing though, since the little streams are so clear and the fish so spooky. Thanks for sharing your place.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Beautiful Russ, the shot with all the rays of light and the cast unfurling is hard to beat!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Beautiful water
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

love it! sounds like the "dog days" are finally gone
nice report

casey

ARFE
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Thanks all- this little stream is a real jewel and it is where I learned to fly fish nearly 25 years ago. A few summers back my friend landed a 26 inch fish on a hopper, my best this year was about 14. I have seen larger but they were not interested, perhaps if we can get a little rain the higher water and increased O2 will get the larger fish moving.

But to be honest it does not really matter. With my 3wt Winston this is a great place to hone my pinpoint casting skills, stealth approaches and generally forget about the world for a while.

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Beautiful Russ, the shot with all the rays of light and the cast unfurling is hard to beat!
The credit goes to my wife, she went along this day to enjoy the nice weather as well and brought her iPhone to snap some shots. Actually I had no idea just how many pictures she had taken. Apparently she knew how much I love this little stream and wanted to get some memories saved. I think she did a great job!

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
I am glad you took your "paparazzi" with you. The pictures are great. I love seeing the little baby fish too. They are so feisty and eager to grab whatever, no matter how big it is. Very nice stream.... I have fished on many that are that size and even smaller. It is hard fishing though, since the little streams are so clear and the fish so spooky. Thanks for sharing your place.
They are indeed quite spooky but if you don't reveal yourself the fish will eagerly take most offerings as there is very little fishing pressure. On the trip prior it was awesome to see a healthy size trout race across the pool to nab my hopper. Of course for every hopper landed in the water there are about 3 that are stuck in a tree.....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice pictures Russ! And I'm with Ard, the casting shot with the light rays is really neat.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...