The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Throwing Larger Flies with a 6wt.....

Quote:
When you begin your back cast make sure you move your line hand up.
Randy,

I couldn't let this one lie. You were thinking one thing and typing another, or else using a different definition of a casting stroke from that normally used.

When you "begin" your back cast, (defined as the start of rotating the rod) the line hand should already be up near the casting hand. If you are moving your line hand up when you start rotating the rod, you are introducing slack into the stroke.

The line hand is moved up toward the casting hand at the end of the casting stroke so that it is already in position to haul down during the next casting stroke - regardless of which direction that next stroke is going. That is the reason for the "UP" portion of the "DOWNUP" mantra.

This is a common fault among new casters and one which prevents them from getting any distance.

Randy knows this of course, just typed it the wrong way.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

keep working on it, practice will help.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road

Been practicing that double haul motion without the rod. I do fine until I then try it with the rod.

If anyone knows someone here in the Minneapolis metro area, let me know. It would be nice to hook up with some people here who are willing to help a new fly fisherman.

I tried to throw a 2/0 clouser last night from a boat. It was ridiculous. I cant even describe to you how it would hit the water. It was like trying to throw a brick.

Ive also noticed that my line doesnt seem to pull out very smoothly. Its the stock line that came with the combo. Thinking I may buy some 7wt line and have Cabelas put it on for me and try that.

Looking at these two:

Coldwater Clouser Fly Line | Rio

or

Pike Fly Line | Rio
Old 09-17-2011, 03:45 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor10 View Post
Been practicing that double haul motion without the rod. I do fine until I then try it with the rod.

If anyone knows someone here in the Minneapolis metro area, let me know. It would be nice to hook up with some people here who are willing to help a new fly fisherman.

I tried to throw a 2/0 clouser last night from a boat. It was ridiculous. I cant even describe to you how it would hit the water. It was like trying to throw a brick.

Ive also noticed that my line doesnt seem to pull out very smoothly. Its the stock line that came with the combo. Thinking I may buy some 7wt line and have Cabelas put it on for me and try that.

Looking at these two:

or

Pike Fly Line | Rio
Don't get discouraged, throwing Clousers takes practice. I've hit my self in the cheek, taken off my hat with one. One time I hooked one square in the middle of my back, couldn't reach it. I cut the leader, tied on a new one and fishe for another hour. I stopped at the bait shop and had the owner take it out for me.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Thinking I may buy some 7wt line and have Cabelas put it on for me and try that.

Looking at these two:

or

Pike Fly Line | Rio
One piece of general advise for you. This topic comes up alot, a 7 WT line MAY help you but a 2/0 Clouser and a 7WT line may also overload you rod. A 2/0 Clouser is a large and heavy fly for a 6WT. It can be done but your pushing the limits of that combo. Before pushing the limits of a rod you should be comfortable with it. Here's what I see:
1. The rod is farely new to you
2. Your learning to Double Haul
3. Your considering overlining
4 Your trying to throw a 2/0 Clouser

Way to many variables in this equation for you to solve this problem. If you attempt these all at the same time it could become a big, discouraging mess.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would just say no to overlining the rod. I think swirlchaser covered it pretty well, so this is just one more vote for what he said. The Clouser line would probably not be to bad an idea, I was thinking about getting that line myself. Once you get better at casting you may want actually go underlined a weight. The only place I have ever seen overlining help is where you have light flies and little back cast room.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I have to agree with swirlchaser, it appears to me that your putting the cart before the horse and may be compounding the problems. Going to the heavier line may not even solve your issues.

As I said before, I've cast 2/0 size Clousers with a 6 wt, just not very far, and I've been fly fishing for a long time. It can be done, but it's not the best size to be casting with that rod, especially if it's heavily weighted.

For the waters I fish, which are shallow, I often tie 2/0 size Clousers with light wire hooks, and/or small size barbell eyes, or even bead chain which certainly makes a difference in the flies final weight. I have cast this size on my 6 wt, tied on regular saltwater hooks & heavy eyes, but from a boat, and again, not very far. Usually no more than 25 or 35 feet, because the fish would be near the boat, so longer casts were not needed. I remember a situation several years ago, where I had been fishing for perch, in an area that is 10 to 15 ft deep and found Striped Bass & Bluefish chasing schools of baitfish near my boat. I re-rigged with 3 ft of straight 20 lb line and a large Clouser, probably 2/0 because I use this size often, but I don't recall the exact size, and caught several decent size fish within 25 ft of the boat. I had been using a sinktip line, so all I needed to change was the leader. This does not happen often, and I would have preferred to have had a heavier weight rod, like a 8 or 9 wt.

I still have not seen that you answered my question about your leader length. How long is the leader you're using?

Quote:
Ive also noticed that my line doesnt seem to pull out very smoothly
What exactly do you mean by this? How much line are you stripping from your reel before you attempt a cast?

You should be stripping enough line for the length of the cast that you intend to make plus slightly more, which will end up as slack between your line hand & the reel once the cast has been completed. If you're attempting to cast directly from the reel at all, well, it won't work!

An experienced caster can strip line while false casting, but it's usually not necessary, unless attempting a very long cast. As I said before, long casts are not necessary for your situation, and not advisable with a 2/0 Clouser & your rod.

Also, does the reel have an adjustable drag, and if so, how tight is it? It should not be set so tight that it makes turning the spool, or stripping line difficult.

How full is your reel? If the line is touching the inside of the reel frame, and binding to keep the spool from turning freely, that would be a problem too.

You should also make sure that when you wind up the line onto the reel, it's as evenly distributed on the spool as possible. Otherwise, you'll end up with high spots which could bind against the inside of the frame, or they may even create a backlash type situation, which would cause problems for you.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM

I pull out as much line as I think I can cast. Then I start casting.

The line seems kind of.....sticky, if that makes sense. This entire combo was $70 which is what good fly line costs by itself, so Im not sure it came with premium line. Most likely crappy line. It was just a thought to look for good line.

In spin casting I buy cheap combos and then I put really good line on them and they fish great. Thought maybe that would be the cast in fly fishing.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go with the Clouser line...

It's not a bad line persay, but the Scientific Anglers Texture Mag Taper is a freakin machine...

Plus, I think the noise it gives off will be a very useful tool for you as a beginner to have an auditory response for when you are doing something right or wrong. It gives a little bit of a zing, but not some obnoxious noise like the sharkskin does. This would be a huge asset for you it sounds like...

I find the textured line is actually easier on the hands than a smooth line "not like the sharkskin" as well. I have never "burned" my hand with the textured where I did all the time with smooth lines. This is the main reason why I really love these lines, there are plenty of great tapers out there from every brand, but the fact I can strip in smallies and not have to wear those finger guard deals, makes it a worth while investment to me. I do think the mag taper is a better line than the clouser for distance casting as well, definitely allows you to carry more line in the air easier. The textured line also doesn't tangle like smooth lines tend to as well. I know this probly sounds like an infomercial, but I have no affiliation, just fish damn near everyday and sharing my experiences...

Every single person I have handed my rod to and let them cast that textured mag taper has immediately went out and bought one...

May want to give it a shot...

Your current line may or may not be part of your problem, but if the textured line helped with your technique, it's sort of a win win situation. The fact you can "bomb" a hopper and not a larger fly, probably means the line is not bad persay, but instead it's more likely a Trout type taper and just doesn't have the balls to turn over the big stuff...

Last edited by kwb; 09-17-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The line seems kind of.....sticky, if that makes sense. .
Have you ever cleaned and treated the line?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Have you ever cleaned and treated the line?
No I have not done that