The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road
Default Throwing Larger Flies with a 6wt.....

I have a Cabelas Three Rivers 6wt.

When I throw poppers 6 or bigger it seems like I really have to put a lot of extra "oomph" into the cast. Even then its not really flying out there. Same with Clousers. But if I put on a 6 sized grasshopper, I can bomb it out there no problem.

Is my line too light? Is there I technique I should try?

Im sure its hard to know the answer without seeing it happen, but Im hoping there might be a solution.

Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Throwing Larger Flies with a 6wt.....

What size leader are you using?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM

For those I used a Cortland 2x...which is something like 10lb test. About an extra foot of 2x tippet on there as well.

I rigged up about 4 ft of 15lb flouro with about a 1ft of 10lb mono at work and was going to try that.....but figured I would get some perspective here as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You may just need to adjust your casting. I use Clousers and bigger flies on a 5 wt. all the time. I also live on big water where there is no such thing as casting to far. It can be done. Get a big fat Clouser and start practicing. If all else fails, get a heavier weight rod. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with your leader.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Ok,

I will keep practicing, that much is certain.

Its as if the butt of the leader hits the water, or nearly hits the water and then the fly comes after it. Sometimes it causes the line to just pile up near the butt of the leader.

Watching some videos about the Belgian cast.

Also, it happens more often with the poppers. I think they are actually much lighter than clousers or any other fly of the same hook size. Maybe not....But practice I will.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where and when are you hitting the water in your cast? This sounds more like a casting issue than an equipment problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 PM

The fly line is loaded on the forward cast, but once it stops the fly doesnt stretch out the length of the leader. It almost looks like its floating over the water and then just loses steam.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

haulingmario is on a distinguished road

I have 5-6 weight Conolon rod and a Sage Bass fly rod,230 grain which is about 8 weight line.
When I have used the bass 230 grain line on the Conolon fly rod I can cast just as far as the Sage Bass rod,which is about 60 feet using most bass flies.
The heavier weight line made a big difference on the 5-6 weight rod and I was able to cast further with bigger flies,just slow down the cast a bit and use more of a Belgian style cast.
Best of luck!
Mario
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor10 View Post
The fly line is loaded on the forward cast, but once it stops the fly doesnt stretch out the length of the leader. It almost looks like its floating over the water and then just loses steam.
Do you double haul? It sounds like you are not getting the line speed you need.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Do you double haul? It sounds like you are not getting the line speed you need.
Im a newb and I cant do the double haul yet. Im trying but I cant do it.