The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Click Pawl Reel for 6 weight?

A friend of mine just gave me a redington drift 5/6 reel. This is a nice machined click pawl style reel but im not sure if a click pawl would be ok for a 6 weight. Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Click Pawl Reel for 6 weight?

All depends on what you use the 6 for, is the reel an exposed rim? If yes then you have a drag already.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I use that 6 for smallies and trout in wind and big rivers. It does have a rim as well. Guess it should be ok!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds like a winner to me, I've landed a lot of salmon using a Battenkill 3/4 clicker and could do it because of the rim. They were silvers not kings, I prefer a drag for them but when you run into them while fishing trout you do what you do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The combination of you palming the rim, what little drag the reel can produce, the leverage you can put on fish with the rod, and your confidence in your rig will determine whether the system should work for you.

Just be ready for Homie to take you on a wild ride.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-14-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Why not? I've caught multiple redfish and black drum on my Ross Colorado-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not a click/ pawl, but I used a Medalist in the salt 18 years before I broke down and got my first disk drag. And that was only because I was tired of the constant maintenance. The lack of a machine drag didn't bother me one bit.
Disk drags are overrated in my book and in most cases not needed. It's a shame there's not more click/pawls on the market.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I actually prefer a very light drag, along with a palming rim. I enjoy fishing with both click pawls, and disk drags. Several of the reels I choose to fish with are also vintage click pawls that don't even have a palming rim. It all adds to the excitement in the battle of landing a fish.

I'd just tryout the reel you have, and see how much you like it. I found this picture on the web and it looks like a serviceable reel, I'd fish it!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Not a click/ pawl, but I used a Medalist in the salt 18 years before I broke down and got my first disk drag. And that was only because I was tired of the constant maintenance. The lack of a machine drag didn't bother me one bit.
Disk drags are overrated in my book and in most cases not needed. It's a shame there's not more click/pawls on the market.
I'm sure you'll grumble at the price, but I was quite pleased to see these new click reels come out-

Hardy Ultralite CC Series Fly Reel : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

A heavily machined Hardy for under $200? Nice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'm sure you'll grumble at the price............
I've read that Scientific Anglers is discontinuing the System One.
I've long thought that they were one of the best reels for the money on the market,
I guess that they're not cool enough looking.
Another click/pawl bites the dust