The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Trout Water Restrictions

Why are there some restrictions on trout waters (here in NC)? There are natural bait, artificial lures, artificial flies, and limited daylight fishing hours.

Natural bait. I see nothing wrong with using animals that naturally live in the water as the trout...insects, minnows, and the like.

Daylight hours? Is this to keep people from snagging tree limbs and failing to retrieve the flies/lures?

Artificial flies? Is this a traditional aspect with trout?

I ask because I have never fished anywhere that has these restrictions.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trout Water Restrictions

I bet you'd get your best answer, albeit perhaps not the most satisfying or commonsensicle (is that a word) by asking the NC fisheries guys. Although you'll probably get some great guesses and opinions here, lol!
Gary
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I'll take a stab at it and say it's the same as around here, and that's for the preservation and growth of the trout. That's generally speaking and not to the specifics of each regulation and how they achieve that preservation but in each reg you've stated it occurs to me that it is feeding related, whether it be time of day or type of food, artificial vs. live.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Really, Robert, the more I think about it, your question, "Why are there some restrictions on trout waters in NC?" is certainly best answered by the NC fisheries guys. I'm thinking bantering the question here is a waste of bandwidth.
Gary
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'm assuming that such regs are enforced to help protect otherwise volatile
trout populations.
i know that they have some similar regulations in alaska during the summer that were created for wild salmon.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Robert,if you think that you have restrictions in NC you should check Europe rules
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Why are there some restrictions on trout waters (here in NC)? There are natural bait, artificial lures, artificial flies, and limited daylight fishing hours.

Natural bait. I see nothing wrong with using animals that naturally live in the water as the trout...insects, minnows, and the like.

Daylight hours? Is this to keep people from snagging tree limbs and failing to retrieve the flies/lures?

Artificial flies? Is this a traditional aspect with trout?

I ask because I have never fished anywhere that has these restrictions.

Cheers,

Robert
Are you serious?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this thread is meant to incite ill will among the forum members and I refuse to participate.

Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I believe this thread is meant to incite ill will among the forum members and I refuse to participate.

Dave
As Siskel and Ebert use to say, two thumbs up!
Bye now.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Trout Water Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I bet you'd get your best answer, albeit perhaps not the most satisfying or commonsensicle (is that a word) by asking the NC fisheries guys. Although you'll probably get some great guesses and opinions here, lol!
Gary
That reminds me....I once asked 2 game wardens why certain fish are considered "game fish" while other fish are not. Both wardens replied "I don't know."

Mojo,

I am serious. Some trout waters here in NC have restrictions. Check out the NC fishing regs...they're online!

Casey and Bruce,

Thank you for the insight.

Madjoni,

I enjoy learning, and I'd welcome the opportunity to see European rules.

Littledavid,

If you have something meaningful to contribute, and you are a trout angler, I welcome your reply. I invite you to review NC fishing regs along with Mojo.

Cheers,

Robert
Closed Thread