The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 PM

WHPHEL is on a distinguished road
Default Tipits and dry fly's?

Just getting started here. I Stoped at a local fly shop here in Washington to get geared up and was told to just tye my dry flys on the end of my taperd leader. I would like to fish drys on lakes and streams around here. I dont know if I need to be more detailed here but is a tipet needed for dry fly fishing, from what I have read it seams that I should.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 AM

FishyWrench is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tipits and dry fly's?

As you lose/change flies your 9ft leader will soon become 7ft. Adding tippet to maintain length is cheaper than replacing the leader.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

We could spend an awful lot of time discussing tippet. I‘ll try to keep it brief.

Generally… No, you do not need a tippet on your new leader to fish a dry fly. Tying the fly directly to your leader is fine.

FishyWrench is right … As you lose/change flies your 9ft leader will soon become 7ft. Adding tippet to maintain length is cheaper than replacing the leader.

Another scenario would be… say you're dry fly fishing with a 5x leader. Fish are rising but you’re not getting any hits. You feel comfortable in your fly selection and presentation. The fish may be leader shy. They can see the 5x leader and stay away from it. A good option is to tie an 18” section of 6x tippet to the 5x leader. Now the tippet at the fly is not as noticeable. In this case you may also want to use fluorocarbon tippet to make it even less visible.

OK… here’s another thought. Some folks tie a section of smaller tippet on the leader in order to extend a drag free drift in swift water. The idea is that during the presentation, when the fly lands on the water, The extra tippet kinda coils a little. As the current pulls the fly line and leader downstream… it takes an extra second or so before the slack is out of the tippet and the current moves the fly. That extra second is often all that is needed in fast water to get a strike.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Steve nail's it again!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 PM

WHPHEL is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the tips.