The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Ross USA Vs. Lamson

Im considering purchasing a new reel for my 6 weight. I like the Ross CLA but after looking at some of the units by Lamson im torn. What is the better reel? They are both made in American and both have the lifetime warranty. Im not sure what the pros and cons are. Any opinions?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross USA Vs. Lamson

For whatever reason, Ross sales on the CLA slowed down at the shop to the point that the shop decided not to carry it for 2012. It is well made, but it seems that people have gravitated towards the Lamson Guru.

The main selling point is that the Guru has the same drag system as the higher end models in the Waterworks/Lamson lineup. Its Conical drag system is one of the smoother starting around. It also has a fairly wide range. It also has a more modern look.

I cannot say anything bad about the Ross CLA. It is a well made reel that can take a lot of punishment. My favorite selling points that I mention are that Ross' customer service is the best in the industry if you ever need the reel serviced, and Ross will continue to make black spools after the reel is discontinued.

A 6 weight rig is one that a person may have to rely on fighting a fish off of the reel rather than off the rod itself. The drag has to start up smoothly and have the stopping power to slow down the fish. If I had to make my choice based off of reel drag alone, I would lean towards the Lamson over the Ross.

If you decide to go with a Lamson Guru, don't be afraid to go with a Guru 3 instead of the 2 model. The Guru 3 is light enough to balance any modern 6 weight. Plus the tall reel diameter helps retrieve line fast.

Dennis
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I decided to take advantage of Cabela's excellent customer service and purchased the Lamson Litespeed and the Ross Evolution knowing that i would return whichever reel i didn't want. I honestly figured i would end up with the Ross but at the end of the day i was more impressed with the Lamson. Dont get me wrong, these are both world class reels at the top of the heap and both were great but in the end the drag and hard aloix finish on the Lamsen were too much to pass up. I have never seen a reel with such a smooth drag! The finish by the way is pretty unreal as well. I tried to scratch the reel seat with my house key and could not do it. Very impressive and well made...and lite! I think i may have to order one for my 3 weight!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a first generation Lamson Litespeed 3 that I use for my 6 weight rod. The reel and the spare spool are my sink tip setups. The reel has not failed me since I bought it back in 2002.